1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

Just thought I would share this; I had issues getting out my thin bushings so I could replace them with standards. I did the research here got some good ideas but in the end this is what worked.

Get the right size "easy out" also called a screw extractor from a hardware store I used a #2. Soak the bushings with a little liquid wrench. Tap the easy out into the bushing and turn it counter-clockwise. Once it bites into the bushing it will begin to turn it and out it comes, no thread damage to the frame! Worked like a charm! :rock: (I would guess this is how the smiths do it).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only better if it works

Cuba,

Thanks for the heads up but I bought the thin bushing wrench and the standard bushing wrench and the magna tip handle. Problem is either the depth of the bushings or wrench was out of spec. They did not engage fully and caused further stripping to the bushings. Soft cheap steel bushings in my trojan.

My solution is for those that have stripped out their bushings or can not get the standard solutions to work for them...I did not make that clear.

Anyway it works no frame damage no thread damage and hell...the easy out costs $2.00 from your hardware store vs. the wrench solution that is more costly and has to be shipped to you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alumagrips.com sells the thin bushing tool. I know, because I almost bought one. At the checkout page, shipping was $20 (from Arizona to Utah!) I'll pass.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I purchased the slim bushing wrench tool from Alumagrips. It seems to work well enough for both the slim and standard bushings. My guess is that the standard bushing tool simply covers more of the sides of the bushing, possibly giving it more support. My advice would be, if you are working with both slim and standard bushings is to just get the slim bushing tool, it should get the job done until something gets messed up. Then the easy out may be the solution.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I bought the bushing tool and could not budge my regular bushings. I think they might have been staked. I had them changed out to slim bushings when I sent the gun in for some work and told them not to stake them. Now I can switch back if I need to with the bushing tool.

H

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've used the bushing tool and have still ruined bushings trying to remove them. The Ez out screw remover is the best answer for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts