1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my new CQB compact has had two problems, both cosmetic. The first was that the rear sight fell off after about 400 rounds. A little loctite fixed that right up.

The second involved the grip panels. The little emblem on the left side fell off presumably due to recoil. Superglue and a 24 hour drying period didn't help. 250 more rounds popped it off again. This happen to anyone else? Is this common on Wilson Grips? Thanks

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
No it's not common as far as I can tell. Call Wilson and let them know. They'll probably send you a new set of grips.

Tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I called Wilson's, actually emailed and they just told me to put some epoxy or contact cement on it. I did so we'll see next time I go to the range (this Friday) what happens. Thanks for the response

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
As one who retails the Wilson line.

If the epoxy doesn't work they (Wilson) will send you another emblem or new grips.

For a short period of time about two years ago I had two of my customers emblems fall out. New emblems and grips were in the mail with a phone call.

I don't care for email even though it is convenient as the devil.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll let you guys know at the range this thurs whether or not the epoxy holds.

·
Super Moderator
13,599 Posts
Pointman,
My friend's CQB (bought at Bernie's) had the same problem with the emblem. It fell off at an outdoor range and we couldn't find it. So he called Wilson's and they sent him 6 new emblems and told him to use contact cement. So far it is holding up.
The right grip panel cracked on my Protector and they sent my a new pair with no question asked.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I should be getting my CQB from Terry Peters very shortly.
maybe they are sending axtra emblems and superglue as part of the NEW GUN PACKAGE.

emblem or not, as long as it goes Bang every time..........

·
Registered
190 Posts
During a review a couple of years ago about a custom wilson one of the author's complaints was also the medallion coming off.

I tried to order a set of wilson's ebony grips but was told they were discontinued due to frequent breakage. Are yours black?

I think any of their black/green guns look great with black grips, but brutal with brown wood grips, therefore i'm hesitant to buy a CQB model...

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
The grips on the CQB line are not the Ebony that was cracking. I am not sure what the compostion is.

It looks like a laminate of some kind as they (CQB) grips a little less that the cocobolo logo grips (say that five times fast after two beers).

I do not think breakage of the CQB grips would be a problem.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters
http://www.pt-partners.com

You get what you pay for front end or back end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey! The emblem on my new CQB also fell off last week. I haven't dealt with it yet, but I was suprised, since everything else on the pistol is so great.

Well, if this is the "problem" that my pistol has, then I'll take it!

Contact cement it is...

-Donut

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, took the CQB to the range two days ago and shot about 200 rounds through it and the medallions are still on. A little degreaser and contact cement did the trick. Thanks for the tip guys! Gun still shoots great. NOw if only my braveheart holster will come in the mail. Semper Fi.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You know, it is amazing that Wilson would continue to ship grips with emblems that fall out. Given the price of their guns, you would expect everything to be done right. Oh sure, it is a cosmetic detail, but it is one paid for by the customer. If the hood ornaments fell of Mercedes regularly, you can bet they would have that fixed. A recent review on one of the gun rags also mentioned the emblems coming off one of Wilson's guns. Tacky, Tacky, Tacky, or maybe the issue is a lack of tackiness? I find this quite troublesome given that I have seen mention of this issue for more than a year. I had hoped that it would get corrected. My CQB is due in February and as vain as it might be, I really would like my emblems to be on and stay on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, 300 more rounds of S&B at the range today and the grip emblems are staying put. At first I didn't like the emblems being there but I've gotten used to them. Plus, with my size hands, they help me index whether or not I have a proper grip.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Never heard of the "loco logo" problem. I have about 500 rounds through my Sentinel and the emblems aren't budging. I totally agree with Gopher. If mine had that problem, #*@# the glue, I'd want new grips ASAP.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mabye they should laser engrave the emblem on and do away with the medallions.

------------------
Men sleep safe in there beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts