1911Forum banner

81 - 100 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here's a set that I made. I wanted something black for my CDP as I wasn't really a fan of the look with the original rosewood grips. Another thanks to the OP for sharing the process with us. I obviously liked your double sun groove design. For anyone wanting to try this, I didn't find the fiberglass/canvas part as difficult as I thought it may be, although you have to work quickly. Give it a shot! Now all I need is a new MSH with mag well. And some black grip screws. And some new grips to go with the mag well. And a holster... Does it ever end?

(I have no idea why I get these white borders. Hopefully I'm better at making grips than posting pictures.)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Here's a set that I made. I wanted something black for my CDP as I wasn't really a fan of the look with the original rosewood grips. Another thanks to the OP for sharing the process with us. I obviously liked your double sun groove design. For anyone wanting to try this, I didn't find the fiberglass/canvas part as difficult as I thought it may be, although you have to work quickly. Give it a shot! Now all I need is a new MSH with mag well. And some black grip screws. And some new grips to go with the mag well. And a holster... Does it ever end?

(I have no idea why I get these white borders. Hopefully I'm better at making grips than posting pictures.)
Hey man, those look awesome. Glad to see some people getting some use out of this thread.

·
Registered
12 Posts
can anybody post a pic or say which files to buy for the grooves??... i'm looking at doing this with some ugly stock grips i have...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used an assortment of files. I have an X-acto needle file set and started with the triangular one sort of making a line with it and deepening it with a little more pressure with each pass. I moved on to a larger triangular one then a small round and finished with a larger chainsaw file. The chainsaw files work well because they aren't too aggressive and are a consistent thickness over the entire length. It was tedious but a little patience pays off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is sooo cool!

I've asked my cousin to give me a set of ACUs he wore in Iraq, and I'll make him a set of grips for his pistol out of it, and I'll make a handle for a knife I am going to make for him out of it, too. I think it'll look cool.

·
Registered
169 Posts
thats pretty cool to see the steps involved in making one set of grips, now i can appreciate the price tag for a nice set. your very good at what you do.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks for the informative thread. You've inspired me to dig these out and get them done:
stone bender...that is one awesome piece of wood! I hope you post a pic of those on your 1911 when youre done!

OP...thanks alot for sharing with us! I think this week I am going to make a go of it and try some of my old USMC digital camo. Im hoping I dont lose too much of the camo design when Im in the shaping stage.

If I get really gutsy, I may even try to enlay an EGA (eagle, globe, anchor) device in the middle!

·
Registered
752 Posts
being we are all using different thicknesses of fabrics.....about how thick should our stack of dry strips be? I wouls sure hate to mix my resin and discover I am short on fabric haha.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
being we are all using different thicknesses of fabrics.....about how thick should our stack of dry strips be? I wouls sure hate to mix my resin and discover I am short on fabric haha.
Probably the best way to check is to clamp down whatever fabric you are going to use. Once its clamped then make sure it is .250" plus. I would err a little on the larger side. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tried my hand at it

Dear Jeremy,
Thank you. This technique is friggin' awesome. It adds so much more of a personal touch to the gun rather than just carving up a block of wood.
I decided to try my hand at it, and since this is one of my concealed carry guns, I made mine a little thinner and thus changed out the bushings and screws. When I got to the drill press stage, that was harder with the thinner grips because I just gave myself so much smaller of a margin of error. But here's what they look like.

I also accidentally discovered during the sanding (more like grinding sometimes; this stuff is way more durable than wood) that I could leave a little bit of "meat" down at the bottom for the pinky to rest on, kinda like my wife's Sig grips. For some reason, that felt a little more comfy to me. And it makes that neat L shape on the grip that makes it unique. And that's the point of custom parts, right? So the gun fits you better?
I also accidentally discovered, and you can tell from the pictures, that when I screwed in the screws, I forgot to counter sink them! So I had to go back to the drill press and do that, which is why there is a little light-colored ring around the screws without the polyurethane finish.
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to try a basic set before I tried to do any fancy flair or grooves. Just thought I'd post my pictures here and add to the cacophony of replies on this thread. They're not nearly as cool as some of the other guys' designs, and I know they're not even near perfect, but they're perfect for my daily carry.
:rock:

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Awesome info here!!

I also gave my try at doing this.....what do you think??

I went with more of a matte finish instead of a super glossy finish. There are just the first three pairs I made, I'm going to try to make some more when I get time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tip

I noticed that some of the pictures show the resin being mixed up in a metal can. If you mix up resin in a plastic container you can get more working time before the mixture starts to cure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
AWESOME WORK!!!!!! Thanks for sharing! :rock:

81 - 100 of 247 Posts