1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooters develop preferences regarding their guns.

With the 1911, I have definite preferences regarding the grips.

For me, the grips, for a gub I shoot, must be of standard thickness and checkered. I'm not too concerned with the material, and I have a number of grips ranging from low-cost polymer to carbon fiber, with wood and G10 in between. I very much like the old carbon fiber grips from Carbon Creations, but they are no longer making grips, that I can tell.

U have some smooth grips, but not on any guns. I don't recall at the moment if I have any thin grips, but I don't think I do. Thick grips I have not purchased other than those that come on Springfield Armory guns. They get replaced with the aforementioned standard thickness checkered,

Certainly, I can shoot guns with thin or thick grips, or rvrn smooth, but they are not to my preference.

What are your preferences?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had intended to comment on the Pachmayr. Like you, I prefer the front strap portion be removed. I gave them up when I discovered the steel the rubber is molded around had some exposed and it rusted. I didn't care for the rust against the frame of the gun.

Double diamond work fine, and I have a mix of double diamond and fully checkered. Both work for me.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I presume this is a discussion of grip panels for a 1911.
My preference thus far is for thin grips of sharply checkered wood. Walnut and Rosewood seem to be pretty good. Double diamond patterns are attractive but are not the only thing that will work, and I prefer the diamonds around the grip screws not to be overly large.
I am debating on experimenting with bone and other types for aesthetic reasons but have not yet found a set that meets all my requirements at what I consider a reasonable price.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My apologies if I was not clear that the discussion is about 1911 grips.

My first 1911 pistol was/is a Colt Government Model with it Coltwood (?) grips. That established the feel for the thickness and checkering. When Colt came out with the Mk IV Series 70 they had (as I recall) sandblasted grips. I didn't like them regarding feel.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Like the OP, I have a pretty good mix of material types and thickness for grips. I’m not too picky except in one area…

It’s easier for me to say that I can not stand the look of Rubber grips on MY guns. They are beyond fugly to me, they just just don’t stir the soul, they repulse it.

While I do admit to owning sone rubber grips on non 1911’s, I just haven’t gotten around to replacing them all yet. After all, I spend most of my range time with 1911/2011’s.

Going forward, a huge criteria of mine has been only buying 1911‘s with checkering or some form of front strap treatment, the more aggressive the better.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Front strap checkering I can take or leave. I do prefer thin grips though. Makes it so I can reach the mag release easier. With standard size grips I find myself shifting the gun in my grip to get at the button.

As far as texture goes so long as it isn't completely smooth, I am content. Checkering with double diamonds is a pretty good balance of form and function.

I don't much care for plastic or G10 grips. I could probably live with them, but I prefer wood.

For sheer vanity something like Esmeralda's grips can be tough to beat.

·
Super Moderator
3,782 Posts
My apologies if I was not clear that the discussion is about 1911 grips.

My first 1911 pistol was/is a Colt Government Model with it Coltwood (?) grips. That established the feel for the thickness and checkering. When Colt came out with the Mk IV Series 70 they had (as I recall) sandblasted grips. I didn't like them regarding feel.
I never liked the early series 70 sandblasted grips..I prefer the 70 series style checkered walnut for appearance and feel between the two.

Wrap around Pachmayrs with the checkered front strap cut off aren't bad but I prefer the double diamonds.
Similar to this, I like the early to mid 90s Colt wraparound rubber grip with the front strap cut off. The material is more firm than Pachmayr, the texture seems nearly identical to the checkered series 70 wood grips but they feel very slightly thicker (which is good for me), the style is classic, they contrast well with stainless/chrome frames, the screws stay tight, they seem to soften the recoil ever so slightly, and they can still be found relatively cheap. I think I just typed an ad pitch..sorry.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
For a work gun the Pachmayer wrap around, I would really like to have some stag grips just haven't gotten serious about that yet. Seems like they are around 150 or more for real stag. Nice wood is always good, I guess the only grips I don't like are fake whatever, I don't like fake anything!!!

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
My preference is about .250 per each panel which is on a thinner side of standard thickness grips, thumb relief cut, and as aggressive treatment as I can get.
One of things that I always wanted to observe someone shoot a 0.45 or 10 mm 1911 outfitted with smooth grip, like wood or ivory.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Shooters develop preferences regarding their guns.

With the 1911, I have definite preferences regarding the grips.

For me, the grips, for a gub I shoot, must be of standard thickness and checkered. I'm not too concerned with the material, and I have a number of grips ranging from low-cost polymer to carbon fiber, with wood and G10 in between. I very much like the old carbon fiber grips from Carbon Creations, but they are no longer making grips, that I can tell.

U have some smooth grips, but not on any guns. I don't recall at the moment if I have any thin grips, but I don't think I do. Thick grips I have not purchasether than those that come on Springfield Armory guns. They get replaced with the aforementioned standard thickness checkered,

STOCKS WITH MY INLAYS ON THEM. They are all smooth. Front of pistol grip is checkered as that is what you use to "index" your grip. I know from records I have shot more than a million rounds of .45 in practice and competition plus that many more of other calibers.......
Distinguished Pistol Shot #506, Presidents 100 (Nationals)

What are your preferences?
SMOOTH

·
Registered
354 Posts
So, for my carry gun: Pachmayer. Fits my hand just right and I appreciate the "friction feel." I've installed Pachmayer grips on every 1911A1 that I've ever carried, professionally or for personal defense. Many different guns, but one consistent grip. (I swapped the same Pachmayer grips between different guns for years in the Army.)

I do appreciate the aesthetics of many of the other choices and options, and I have 1911's with other grips which I do shoot on the range. However, functionality wins out for carry.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Original pattern Pachmayr combat grips (thinner than current ones and no stupid medallion). The rubber grips Kimber (and some others) uses are good if you have a checkered or stippled front strap and sold unbranded and cheap on Ebay. Gave up on wood grips over 40 years ago cause they get soft and loose (except on my S&W 39-2's and 439's that use the factory wood cause Pachmayr's for them are too big and bulky and don't feel right). Uncle Mike's (discontinued) rubber grips for Beretta 92's and Taurus 92 clones.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've always preferred smooth wood grips myself. I found a set for a Llama years ago in Rosewood that took about 8 months to find because they have a different grip screw pattern on them. The main reason I haven't found a set for my Colt yet, is I keep missing the sets they made from the deckwood on the Texas. I had planned on a set this year but missed the announcement until they were gone. I've noticed between the factory checkered that came on it, and the smooth ones on the Llama, that there's definitely less problems during the day with the smooth ones catching on cover shirts etc..

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thin VZ’s for me, Super Scoop when possible. FSC is preferred but not a deal breaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Right now, on my Kimber Stainless full size, I have a pair of Stag Grips that were a gift from a friend about 20 years ago. I have had them on every full size 1911 since then.
On my Rock Island Compact I have a pair of wood grips with the Texas State Seal.
Both of these grips are thicker than standard grips. That works better with my long Fingers. I have some imitation Ivory grips, that look nice.
I have several sets of 1911 grips, including some Aluma-Grips with my initials, they were a present from my Wife.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My grips need to be standard size, be fully checkered, and made of exotic wood. I buy almost all of my grips from Woodcaliber. They always seem to have exactly what I am looking for. If not, for no extra money they will make it. Here are some that I just got for my DW Valor. Cocobolo from Woodcaliber. My hands sweat so I really like some full coverage checkering, but nothing terribly aggressive. Just aggressive enough.

Sleeve Wood Wool Pattern Woolen

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I figure a thread like this is useless without copious amounts of pictures so...starting off with some semi-vanity grips. Magnum Research on the left, Springfield Loaded on the right. I do carry the Loaded regularly. These grips are from Esmeralda, and maybe don't provide the greatest amount of traction - but when I shoot them I'm not constantly milking the grips to readjust so they do well enough.

Sleeve Font T-shirt Material property Asphalt

Sleeve Automotive tire Font Motor vehicle T-shirt

I'm really starting to dig frames with checkering. Maybe one of these days I'll get hold of someone that can checker the Loaded and re-do the parkerizing. Aside from that I wouldn't change a thing on that gun. Next is a 10mm I built. It's got G-10 grips. I know I said I dislike those, but it's built on an RIA A2 frame and at the time I wasn't able to find a place that made grips of another material. Given that it's a 10mm, the extra texture is good even if I dislike the feel of the material itself. They provide a good amount of traction without feeling sharp. And these match the gun well, so I doubt I'd change these out.

Sleeve Air gun Trigger Font Gun barrel

Sleeve Air gun Font Trigger Gun barrel

Minimal checkering on the front strap of this one. Just some vertical lines because my primary concern was the gun wanting to rotate in the hand. I'm satisfied with this setup. I put some pretty hot 10mm through it last range trip, it's good to go. Next is another home build on an A2 frame. Same style grips, but these are slated to be replaced. I've found a source for wood grips that will fit an RIA A2. I think a pair of checkered wood with double diamond pattern will look and feel better. Nothing done to the front strap here, but I can live with that. These grips are also OK, what little I've shot the gun they provided enough traction. Realistically these I can live with. But I want some wood furniture to add a little more of a classic look to it, and the texture and feel of a good set of checkered wood grips is hard to beat.

Sleeve Air gun Trigger Font Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Sleeve Font Gun barrel

And last are some grips that I kinda hate. G10, and too aggressive. Which is weird because their texture is more or less the same pattern as the RIA grips above. I think the edges are just a bit sharper. They came on the Magnum Research. The color looks decent on a black gun, but on an FDE pistol they're not my cup of tea. I do like the thumb scoop though. And their profile is nice for standard thickness grips. At the apex they're standard thickness, but they're a little more rounded than most instead of having a broad almost flat face, which actually makes the thickness OK in my book. If they matched the gun I might actually consider taking some 600 or 1000 grit sand paper and de-horning them a bit to take the edge off. I'll probably be replacing them with a pair of Ivory wood grips, I like the way a white wood looks against FDE. This originally sported the grips that are now living on the Magnum Research 1911.

Sleeve Trigger Air gun Font Gun barrel

Air gun Sleeve Trigger Font Shotgun

I don't know how well it can be seen, but the front strap checkering on this is kind of a grenade pattern with little squares. I kinda wish Girsan had continued that just a little bit higher. It's arguably my favorite type of checkering so far. Provides a decent amount of extra traction, but doesn't feel sharp like the Magnum Research. Kinda have to take some points away because only the ring finger and pinky really benefit from it though. It would be perfect if it stopped at about the same place as the stippling on the Magnum Research.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts