1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Does anyone else hate the torx heads on these damn grip screws? I'm assuming I can replace them, right?

2. Are there "skinnier" grips for a Springfield 1911? Anyone have a resource for them?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
you can replace with any standard slotted grip screws. and any and all makers of slimline grips will fit a Springfield...the whole market is open to you from alumagrips to exotics by Esmeralda, to woodgrips.com to everything offered in Brownells....for milspec'd guns, grips are grips are grips and will fit...the choice is up to you who who makes them. just need to keep in mind if its govt. or officers frame size and you are good to go.

Also note, if you go to slimline grips you will need slimline bushings. You will also need a 2 bushing bits (about 7 bucks each). One standard depth bit to remove the standard bushings and a slim bushing bit to install the short bushings. take it slow and its easy. the bits are a must to not destroy your bushings during the swap. good luck.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Grip bushings are very, very soft. Make sure you use a bit, and do not over tighten or you will ruin it. I know from experience. I'd put a little loctite on the bushing and then just screw it in until you meet resistance, then let it dry over night before you put on the grips. That way your bushing will stay put and you won't end up ordering a ton of bushings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the torx screws... would be interested to know the problem with them.

I've had problems with stripping hex before but never had an issue with the torx.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
First thing I threw away when I got my Loaded was the horrible Torx grip screws. OK, I lied. They were the second thing. First thing was the full length recoil spring guide. ;)

-- Chuck

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was reading a very interesting article by Hilton Yam recently and he uses the slotted screws only. His reasoning is because there is not a torx bit on the leatherman tool in case of a necessity for field repairs. He prefers the flat head grip screws by Hogue.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
efield said:
I was reading a very interesting article by Hilton Yam recently and he uses the slotted screws only. His reasoning is because there is not a torx bit on the leatherman tool in case of a necessity for field repairs. He prefers the flat head grip screws by Hogue.
That was my thinking as well. I can keep a torx head in the range bag, but that doesn't help me if I'm not near the bag.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Good point on the slotted heads. I've never thought of this, but it makes good sense. I just like the allen and torx because of the symmetry and the fact that one can get more purchase with a tool and minimize stripping.
I might put slotted on my next build.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can also use the sear spring or hammer strut in an emergency if you HAVE to get the grips off with a flat head. That is why I like them, they do the job and are expedient in finding something to work with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts