1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a new model Series 70 ready for my wife. I have a date with Alchemy for a trigger job, dehorn, and high-polish blueing. This gun will get shot regularly, but needs to be a looker.

Any recommendations for a nice set of wood grips? Something with nice grain that'll show through checkering. With or withoug a Colt logo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
esmeralda.cc

Beautiful grips, a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. She gets them too you quickly. I have her grips on both of my government models, both smooth , but she offers full check, half-check and smooth .

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Asking us what grips to buy is like asking what underwear feels best. My personal fave has always been Hogue (grips, not underwear).

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I'd put a piece of skateboard tape on the frontstrap and keep the stock grips.

The stockers are nice wood and look right on the gun. Frilly grips on a stock, base-model gun looks like 22" chrome wheels on a base model pickup to me..

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Asking us what grips to buy is like asking what underwear feels best. My personal fave has always been Hogue (grips, not underwear).
Not asking what underwear feels best as much as I am asking who makes underwear that I might want to consider.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wood Grips

Take a look at Esmeralda's grips at http://www.esmeralda.cc/ I have a number of her grips and the quality is exceptional in both fit and finish. She has a variety of woods, textures, and colors. It will be worth your time.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd put a piece of skateboard tape on the frontstrap and keep the stock grips.

The stockers are nice wood and look right on the gun. Frilly grips on a stock, base-model gun looks like 22" chrome wheels on a base model pickup to me..
Let's see if I'm reading this right:

Send it off for a dehorn and high-polish blue, then put skateboard tape on it because nicely patterned wood-grain grips are frilly and won't look right on this stock, base-model gun?

BTW, if frilly is intended to be a feminine term, that's certainly fitting in this case.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Spegel

I've been getting annoyed at the poor quality I've been seeing lately. Laser engraving doesn't leave sharp, crisp lines or checkering, laminated cocobolo like Colt installs on their factory offerings isn't as attractive as solid cocobolo and many of those that are hand checkered have a few serrated (not checkered) lines adjacent to the diamonds on double diamond grips.

Yesterday, I ordered a pair of quarter sawn cocobolo double diamond grips from Craig Spegel. He's had a longstanding reputation for excellent quality and good service. http://www.craigspegel.com/

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been getting annoyed at the poor quality I've been seeing lately. Laser engraving doesn't leave sharp, crisp lines or checkering, laminated cocobolo like Colt installs on their factory offerings isn't as attractive as solid cocobolo and many of those that are hand checkered have a few serrated (not checkered) lines adjacent to the diamonds on double diamond grips.

Yesterday, I ordered a pair of quarter sawn cocobolo double diamond grips from Craig Spegel. He's had a longstanding reputation for excellent quality and good service. http://www.craigspegel.com/
Quartersawn cocobolo? Sounds interesting. Any photos? We have a lot of quartersawn oak in our house. My wife is a big fan of it. She might like the cocobolo. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Cocobolo is beautiful in either a double diamond or tactical checkering pattern. And there are a number of very good makers who produce these grips at reasonable prices.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Kim Ahrends makes some nice grips...these are cocobolo

...and these are Hogue cocobolo

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Am completing a similar custom gun shortly (high polish blue, Retro theme), and actually decided to go with elephant ivory. Have never done that before, and am not really a BBQ gun kind of guy by any means, but it seemed appropriate to pay homage to the Old School approach at least once. Ken Hackathorn influenced me a bit on this one, admittedly.

For woods, most will tell you that a proper walnut is well-suited to the higher grit blued finishes, but I'll admit that I also tend to favor reddish tones. Why not take a look at the species photo samples at www.challisgrips.com for some ideas?

AC

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
And if you don't like the first ones you buy they can be switched out easily and are not that expensive unless you are buying real ivory or something similar.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts