1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an old series 80, Mechanicallt it is very tight, But the grip safety does not work, There is some spring tension to squeeze against, and it moves like it should, But when not compressed, you can still pul the trigger and drop the hammer.
Is this something I can fix myself?
I cant find info in the sticky, I also did a search, but nothing here,
The thing was dirt cheap, and I thought it would be funish to play with something where all I can go is up!
Please need some advice here!
Peter.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
Assuming it wasn't intentionally deactivated, which is a pretty bold assumption, you can usually "stretch" the safety a bit. I suspect you will find that the safety function has been purposely removed, as a gun that won't fire, when you need it to, is a lot more dangerous than one that hypothetically might fire under some bizarre set of unlikely circumstances (the latter being what the grip safety is for). Some people will file on the safety until it just doesn't contact the trigger, which is probably repairable, while others will really go to town on the contact surfaces, in which case you will have to replace the safety.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay Rick, I dont know if this 1911 has been apart, Bit I can tell you this if it matters, with the hammer at the rest position, You cannot pull the trigger until the grip safety is depressed,
Is there somewhere where I can see some pics of what you are talking about, Or a good book I can buy to see what you're talking about, I would like to bring this 80 into proper working order.
PB

·
Banned
759 Posts
I've had grip safeties where I've had to actualy weld and file the tang that blocks the trigger bow in order to bring it back to where it was supposed to be to function properly, and some that've just gone straight to the garbage can.

In the old days they used to "pin" them down, but now some people snap off the tang in order to make them look like they are still functional, very stupid thing to do.:hrm:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
pred66 said:
Okay Rick, I dont know if this 1911 has been apart, Bit I can tell you this if it matters, with the hammer at the rest position, You cannot pull the trigger until the grip safety is depressed,
Is there somewhere where I can see some pics of what you are talking about, Or a good book I can buy to see what you're talking about, I would like to bring this 80 into proper working order.
PB
There is an animation of the workings of the 1911, which can be selectively shaded to isolate the movements of specific parts. It will show you how the trigger and grip safety interact. There is an internal "finger" the extends forward from the grip safety, which is supposed to block any movement of the trigger when the hammer is cocked; if that finger is too short, or perhaps cut at the wrong angle, the trigger can slip past it.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=26921&highlight=animation

Check this out, as well:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=39420&highlight=animation

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it looks like I need to pull the grip safety to have a peak!
Oh sorry, I now realize that this post should be in the Gunsmithing section,
I apoligize.
Peter

·
Registered
23,211 Posts
Just thought I would mention if you get lucky it will be trivial and easy, but problems like this can go difficult and hard in a second. The gunsmithing forum is the best place for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
mr1911 said:
I've had grip safeties where I've had to actualy weld and file the tang that blocks the trigger bow in order to bring it back to where it was supposed to be to function properly, and some that've just gone straight to the garbage can.

In the old days they used to "pin" them down, but now some people snap off the tang in order to make them look like they are still functional, very stupid thing to do.:hrm:
I don't think the grip safety is really necessary and deactivate them on all of my match guns. JMB used the grip safety in the original design because the gun was made to be carried cocked without a thumb safety. When he designed the Browning Hi Power, he omitted the GS.

·
Registered
445 Posts
partsproduction said:
This may be the same problem addressed earlier in "Problem with my trigger" by KYSW1911Sc
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=185999

If the grip safety has been replaced it may not be blocking the trigger bow when it is out.
Ya my problem was with the new MSH not allowing the grip safety to come back enough for the leg of the safety to get behind the trigger bow, so you may want to check that area out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts