1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a Randall from a friend. In handling the gun I noticed that the grip safety (an aftermarket beavertail -- not the factory piece) was not functioning. It looks fine and moves in and out as usual, but the gun will fire without the safety being depressed.

What could cause this kind of problem? Is this most likely a minor fix -- like installing a new safety or maybe reinstalling this one?

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
More than likely the protusion of the safety that blocks trigger movement is too short. Maybe caused by improper fitting or shortened intentionally by a previous owner. It's an easy fix though. It may be possible for a smith to peen that part of the safety to lengthen it, or at worst fit a new one.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It might be fixed or it might require a new grip safety. I would try to get enough off the price to cover the latter, or ask the seller to have it fixed before the sale.

Jim

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
If the grip safety protrusion is only slightly short, you can perhaps peen it a bit to make it long enough to work.
If not, you deserve to pay less for the pistol, since you'll have to replace a part on a Randall that will lower its value.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Since the grip safety is an aftermarket piece, see if the owner has the original and have that reinstalled. Lacking the original, you'll need to find a suitable substitute.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Before you start replacing stuff, try this. I had the same problem and was told that the 3-leaf spring wasn't out far enough. Take the third leaf (the one that presses up against the grip safety) and bend it out a little bit so that it presses out pretty good against the safety, giving it more tension. That fixed mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts