1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A gunsmith recently did a poor job of installing a new grip safety on my Colt Series 70. It rides almost flush with the handle and has very little squeeze room to clear the trigger action. So little room, in fact, that the gun clears only with a low grip. If my strong side thumb rides the slide safety the gun will often stay locked up until I get a lower grip.

How can this be remedied?

The gunsmith has already had two shots at it and his results are totally unsatisfactory. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,420 Posts
The "sensitivity"of the grip safety can be adjusted so that it is off with very little movement. Of course, you want that little bit of movement at the beginning of travel, and not at the end, as yours appears to be. I assume you are not comfortable working on the safety systems of the gun, or you wouldn't have taken it to a 'smith in the first place; the remedy would be to take it to a 'smith who knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Since a new grip safety will be in the cards in any event, you might try this. Remove the grip safety. At the right front, you will see a "finger" with a step in it.

With a file, remove a bit of metal from the BOTTOM (NOT the front) of the longer part. Don't use a power tool. Try the grip safety in the gun. Repeat until the grip safety disengages where you want it.

DO NOT TAKE OFF TOO MUCH; MAKE SURE THE GRIP SAFETY STILL WORKS and that it MUST be depressed before the trigger can be pulled. If the grip safety cannot be corrected, then off to the gunsmith for a new one, although maybe it can be built up.

Jim

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
The two small "ears" that the mainspring housing fits over may also need to be filed down a bit.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Hi, Rhino,

That would be OK if the safety weren't going in far enough, but Randy says the safety will disengage only if pressed all the way in and then a bit. So I think a bit of trimming on the safety arm itself is in order. I did hesitate to recommend that to someone not wholly familiar with the pistol, but felt it could not hurt unless he got carried away and deactivated the safety, something I don't recommend.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts