1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ordered a grip safety from wilson combat, It is a drop in type, and with fooling around with my old beater ser 80, I found that to get the thumb safety out of the frame requires some force, I was under the impression, that it should come out pretty easially,
Can someone here please tell me exactly how to accomplish the removal of the thumb safety,
I know how to get the MSH off, and to pull the spring, and how to reinstall it, But this one thing bugs me!
Any advice would be helpful!
And what is a good book about the disassembly of a 1911,
Please the title if you will
Thank you!
PB

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Remove the thumb safety before removing the grip safety.

TS
Cock the hammer, wiggle the safety up and down it will wiggle out of the frame.

GS
Push out pin on the bottom of the frame.
Slide down the MSH.

P.S. It's easier to have the hammer at rest when you want to remove the lower pin in the frame. The hammer strut is pushing down the main spring...

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
1. Remove the mainspring housing pin, the msh will move down slightly in the frame
2. Cock the pistol, the msh will move even more
3. Position the thumb safety in the 'on' position
4. Pull the thumb safety away from the pistol, moving it up and down a bit as you pull. You should not have to pry it out. Sometimes it helps to push on the pin from the right side of the pistol as you pull on the safety.
5. Remove both safeties
FYI there is a lot of info in the FAQ forum, probably a link to the Government manuals for the 1911.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You Tube

No kidding folks, You Tube has a great three-part instructional video that cleared up some assembly questions I had. Do a search regarding a Springfield pistol.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These vids are brilliant! I watched them and I see what I am doing is correct, Did you hear the heavy metal music playing in the background?
And nice norinco.
Thank you, this will give me a cross referance when playing without having to look at another colt!
Thanks
PB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts