1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the grip safety on my Ruger SR1911 model 6720 Talo Night Watchman Lightweight Commander. I have searched and read several threads regarding replacement of the grip safety, however there seems to be differing opinions on what safety fits the factory cut the best on the SR1911 depending upon whether it is a Government model, Commander model and whether it is a steel frame, aluminum frame and whether the frame came with front strap serrations or is bald. Some posts say EGW, others Smith and Alexander, still others say Kimber. It seems that the factory cut varies from model to model, and even depending upon the year of manufacture. I do not like the scalloped tail of the factory safety and want to change it to something with a full-width beavertail. So what is the definitive answer to what aftermarket grip safety will best fit the factory cut on an SR1911 Commander, aluminum frame WITH factory serrated front strap?

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
since no one seems to know, if it were mine, I would order one of each from Brownells and just return the ones that won't work. All you would be out is a little shipping.

·
Premium Member
8,754 Posts
I have both 4.25” and 5” SR1911’s. I tried cleaning up the fit and blend on the one I bought first but it was still not very effective. I have fitted several grips safety and I am familiar with several of the different fitting dimensions. Putting the grip safeties on my two Rugers I can only say what the frame cuts were similar to. My experience is the fit dimensions were a hybrid of two dimension cuts. Officially, the frame tangs are cut for a .250” radius. I used EGW .245” grip safeties on mine. The EGW grip safety is a .250” radius safety cut to a .005” lesser radius for fitting to frames previously cut for .250” with a loose grip safety fit.

·
Premium Member
8,754 Posts
Here are pics I took of the outcomes from both pistols. On both pistols the top and bottom of the grip safeties were blended in the lower registered position so the grip safeties were depressed.
You can see I did some touchup sanding through the cold blue on the 5” gun (with grey frag grips and scalloped Ruger thumb safety). On that fit you can see a very slight gap at the top of the grip safety/frame radius. This was undercut during production. One day I may get around to fitting a .220” radius grip safety. Now it is no concern and light years ahead of the Ruger grip safety fit.

The black grip pistol is the Commander. You can see an even close fit around the whole circumference of the radius.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I know that this is an old thread, but I thought I would update anyone interested in replacing the factory grip safety on their Ruger SR-1911. It took me quite some time to save up for all the parts and the refinishing, but my rebuild project is finally complete. I ended up using the Smith & Alexander grip safety and it was essentially a drop-in to the factory beavertail cut. It does have small gaps, especially at the bottom of the frame tang, but there is no wiggle, and it is comfortable when shooting (much more comfortable than the factory scalloped grip safety), and I have not experienced any bites or pinching due to the gaps. The .245” EGW grip safety would certainly look nicer, and not have any gaps, but would have required much more fitting.

I ended up replacing every factory part except for the frame, slide and barrel; some for fit, many for function, others for longevity. Even the integral plunger tube was ground-off and replaced with a conventional steel, pinned tube. When the frame was stripped of its anodizing prior to being hard chromed, it was noticed that the hole in the cast-in tube was not centered and that there was a crack along the thinnest part of the tube, so off it came. Apparently Ruger applies a thick anodized layer to their aluminum frame 1911s, because the crack was not visible until the anodizing was removed. I can say that the anodized layer was quite thick, because after the first dip in the hard chrome tank, the slide-to-frame fit was noticeably looser than in its as-new condition. So back to the chromer it went, and the frame was left in the tank until a thicker hard chrome top layer was achieved. I am very pleased with the overall outcome. The orange outline Trijicon front sight is fast to pick-up from the draw, and the ported barrel and slide allows me to keep rapid fire double taps in one ragged hole at seven yards with .45ACP +P ammunition. The Cylinder & Slide ignition parts resulted in an ideal 3 1/2# trigger pull, with minimal effort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts