1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've installed the STI trigger in my gun and made the correct modifications to the trigger to get it to fit correct. I also purchased a Wilson Combat speed chute. The speed chute presses more on the sear spring which in turn pushes up the series 80 grip safety tab on my sw1911. It's just enough to where the slide will not go on so it's not going to work properly. My question is should I bend the grip safety sear portion myself so it doesn't put as much pressure on the grip safety or take this to the gunsmith and let him install the whole shebang?

Please don't respond with , take it out :) tia

Edit: I think I might as well just take it to a smith seeing that if it's pushing more on the sear then the trigger pull is going to not be correct as it was among other things. Feel free to put any responses since I can't delete.

· Registered
1,236 Posts
get it back to S&W!

You should send the pistol back to S&W. You need to get someone with a good understanding of the grip safety. The "leg" area of the safety lever rests on the grip safeties shelf. That area of the grip safety needs fitting now that the lever is riding higher when disengaged and not allowing clearance for the slide. Get a qualified person on that S&W 1911 to fit the shelf of the grip safeties shelf that the leg of the safety lever rides on. Tricky things like that need qualified people to fit as you don't want to compomise safety or make the pistol unreliable. That area of the grip safety will be fit only enough to allow the lever to ride flush with the frame and allow safety lever clearance for the slide. But the fitter will not remove too much as this will cause the grip safety to loose the ability to lift the lever high enough to disengage the safety plunger. When you changed the grip safety part was enough to change the relative height of the lever which rests on the grip safety. Remember, when you push the grip safety in, the lever rises. Your new grip safety is too high during disengagement. Get the factory to fit the shelf so the lever has proper clearance and not enough filing to affect lift. Get the gun to the factory. S&W will repair it correctly so not to compromise safety. NATIONALMATCH

· Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the gun to a local smith, he set the overtravel screw on my trigger replacement and all is well. Shot 200 rounds without any problems. I decided against the speed chute and will be most likely selling it on ebay or locally to a friend. The stock S&W MSH is in place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.