1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried another grip safety in my Griffon and found that after reassembling it, prior to replacing the slide, pressing the trigger while the thumb safety was on and the grip safety was disengaged, the hammer would move a bit. When the thumb safety was disengaged the hammer would drop w/o applying the trigger.
I made sure everything was in order and tried again with the same results. Figured it might have something to do with the slide being off so I completed assembly and it worked fine, no problem with either safety or trigger.
Is this expected?
Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
80 Posts
The grip safety should have no effect on the trigger/sear/safety lock interaction. The fact that the hammer moved with the safety lock engaged and when you pulled the trigger means at the very least that your safety lock is not properly locking the sear. The sear was allowed to move when you pulled the trigger and the hammer was restrained by the safety lock. This is why the hammer fell when you took the safety lock off. I cannot see how changing the grip safety would cause this situation to happen IF it had not been there before. Then you say putting the slide back on the weapon fixes the problem? Please check it again with the slide in place and see if there is ANY sear movement with the safetly lock engaged. Is is possible you were checking the safety systems without the weapon being fully assembled? In other words was the main spring housing and pin fully in place and all springs in place?

Tony G.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your advice. The frame was completely assembled except for the slide when I initially noticed the problem. After adding the slide there was no sear movement evident. I didn't have time last night to play with it but will this afternoon. This will not be shot until I'm sure of it's safety.
Is it possible that between removing and replacing the thumb safety after the grip safety swap parts were misaligned? If that were the case I'd expect increased difficulty in function more so than what I experienced.
Eric

[This message has been edited by ebachman (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,001 Posts
With the slide off, you can't be sure that the thumb safety is in the exact position it would be with the slide on. Just a few degrees of rotation might prevent the safety from engaging properly. As long as it works with the slide on, everything is fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rick, that's exactly what I found. Moving the saety past the point possible with the slide attached produced the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts