1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello !

I just got my Colt Series 70 back from the smith, had it refinished.

I have a problem with the trigger / grip safety, I'll try to explain as clearly as I can. First I noticed tha when I pulled the trigger and took up the "take up" I heard a small faint click, every time. I thought It had to do with the trigger to grip safety (trigger block) clearance, but it was not. After removing the slide, the "click went away, now the signs point to the disconnector as it rides through the port in the frame, it's pretty rough. May be due to some finish getting in there. After installing the slide, the click came back, take up on trigger - then click - then hammer falls. All works well, just the click afetr take up. Thats problem one - any idea's ???

Problem 2: I'm not sure if this is a grip safety issue or, spring issue. After I got the gun back, I noticed that the tension on the grip safety was more than before. As I started checking it out, I found that I could hold the grip safety in (fire position) pull the trigger for "take-up" and slowly release the grip safety - letting the GS bar (trigger block arm) down to rest on the trigger bow, and there was enough spring tension to actually hold the trigger back, and hold the grip safety in ? Not that I ususally do this, but I accedently discovered this issue while checking for the "clicking" sound.

All my other 1911's work freely, meaning the spring that applies pressure to the trigger has enough tension / pressue to move the trigger off the GS arm when released. So, I either have too much pressure on the GS, which has enough force to hold the trigger in, or I don't have enough spring pressure applied to the trigger to move it away from the GS arm when all is released.

What are your thoughts ?? Maybe a combination of both ??

Thanks

Dog

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
my thoughts

Return to 'smith for "repair", or find better 'smith for repair.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weshoot,

Thanks for the advice :scratch:

I do most all of my own repairs, I try not to rely on any smith and look forward to the day I never have to do business with one. This is why I asked my question on this forum, to become more self reliable. Prior to tearing the gun down, I thought I could get a few opinions on what too look for, but I see thats not the case.

Thanks

Dog

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Dog,

I'm no gunsmith but I thing it would be best if you do a full detail strip and put the pistol back together to see if anything changes. You can inspect the parts then and hopefully you can diagnose the issue(s). Good luck.

Happy New Year,

Cheers,
Joseph

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Josz,

I did just that, I datail stripped the gun, installed all new springs, sear, disconnector, trigger and associated springs and the problem is solved.
(for now anyway !!) :dope:

Thanks for the response !!

Dog

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Good to hear, now go Shoot! :)

PS. What about the old parts? Find anything out?

Cheers,
Joseph

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Colt disconnector had "rings" or "grooves" around the disconnector where it rides in the disconnector tunnel. Also the GS spring rension was excessive.

I Had to adjust the spring tension on the GS and file the trigger block on the arm of the GS. All works great now.
The click was either from the rings in the disconnector or the trigger bow barley hitting the arm on the GS.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
I wasn't aware you had some skills

joszx67 said:
Dog,

I'm no gunsmith but I thing it would be best if you do a full detail strip and put the pistol back together to see if anything changes. You can inspect the parts then and hopefully you can diagnose the issue(s). Good luck.

Happy New Year,

Cheers,
Joseph

This was the advice I'd give, too, but I didn't know you were comfortable doing that.

My apologies, no slur intended about your knowledge level or abilities.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts