1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kimber ultra stainless and I would like to replace my grip saftey, My question is without the firing pin block is that a seires 70 or 80. The Kimber is a series 1 internal extractor without the block so I should be able to drop a eb brown memory grove right in. I am hoping anyway.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
All the parts for your Kimber would be series 70 type. You'll have to do some fitting on the grip safety.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mind doin a little filing on parts. I apreciate your responce, thank you for your time

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
No such thing as a Kimber Series I, of course, :cool: but unless you have a Series II (which does exist) there's no firing pin interlock. Standard Series 70 grip safety will fit.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Jgrub75 said:
I don't mind doin a little filing on parts. I apreciate your responce, thank you for your time
It's more than just a "little filing" on some parts. You have to remove material from and contour the frame. If you have an Ultra with an aluminum frame, you are most likely going to make a mess of the pistol if you attempt this task.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there one you know of that wont require altering the frame

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have looked in to doing this, too. You need to know the radius is for the tang ears before you can decide which grip safety to buy. You can find instructions on the net for doing this BUT I would recommend taking it to a smith for installation. That way you avoid three issues: (1) the finish will match or at least blend (2) no mistake on your part and (3) you do not have the liability involved in "altering" a safety device designed for your pistol. Even though it is not a big deal to do what you want a good lawyer could run miles with a wild gun owner making changes to his gun... you get the point. A smith won’t charge much to do the job so think of it in terms as cheap insurance to avoid a problem.

My 2cw

Teche

·
Registered
877 Posts
All of the really good beavertails will require some modification to the frame.

Since you have a Kimber without the silly firing pin block, you can use what I think is the best choice for Kimbers: the Chimp McCormick. It allows pretty much the same grip as an Ed Brown or STI, but you don't need to remove as much metal from the frame to blend it as the with the others.

I have two Kimbers with the Chimp McCormick and one with the Ed Brown. The latter was because of the Series II parts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They dont ofer one in stainless though, I looked at them.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It may depend on why you want a new grip safety. If you want the EB because it allows your hand higher and/or "deeper" into the gun, then the frame will have material removed. That's the idea of a very "high hold" type of grip safety.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I should have explaned this better but the one I have on there now is bent and one side digs into my hand. I dont know how it got bent I got it that way. It shoots realy nice and I got it for 300 bucks so I couldn't pass it up. So I just want one that will not dig in, My other kimber has the ed brown on it and it is realy comfortable so I just thought I would stick with that one. I dont mind making one fit, I just dont want to hog a lot of mettal out of the frame. I took the one out of the other kimber and tried to fit it in and it did, It rubs the frame a little bit so I shouldn't have to take that much off. Sory about the long post here I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be like my RIA gov. I did this to. But it seems like it should be pritty strait forward. Unless there is on that would just drop in besides one from kimber that I am sure I could call and order.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got the edbrown in today and it went in pritty easey. Looks great and feels great. I didn't have to hardley touch the frame at all. Just thought you would want to know

·
Registered
56 Posts
rhino465 said:
Since you have a Kimber without the silly firing pin block, you can use what I think is the best choice for Kimbers: the Chimp McCormick. I have two Kimbers with the Chimp McCormick and one with the Ed Brown. The latter was because of the Series II parts.
Is "Chimp" the knuckle-dragging cousin of Chip? I've seen some 'smiths that monkey around but I'll bet he takes the cake!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have an Ultra Carry series 70 style. Good buy.

How do designate our fine older Kimbers from the other stuff. Their not series 70 ,their not series 1

May be we should call them Old Reliable. I don't seem to see as many posts about these older guns. Most of them are about series 2 guns.

Series 70
Series 1
First generation
I know what you are talking about.

Did you check with Kimber. You might be able to get one that doesn't need fitting. I have never replaced one so I don't realy know , Just a thought.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
45/70 GOVT. said:
I also have an Ultra Carry series 70 style. Good buy.

How do designate our fine older Kimbers from the other stuff. Their not series 70 ,their not series 1

May be we should call them Old Reliable. I don't seem to see as many posts about these older guns. Most of them are about series 2 guns.

Series 70
Series 1
First generation
I know what you are talking about.

Did you check with Kimber. You might be able to get one that doesn't need fitting. I have never replaced one so I don't realy know , Just a thought.
I got the grip saftey in with minor fitting, It feels so much better now. I know what you mean about everybody saying there is no such thing as a series 1, Well last time I checked some thing before series 2 would be a series 1. But I dont argue with them I know what I have. Yes they are a great gun I love mine. It goes with me every where I go. I didn't check with kimber I order the ed brown because my other Kimber has a Ed Brown on it and it aslo was realy comfortable so I stuck with what I knew I liked. I am glad you have one of the older ones as I do, good luck with it and enjoy. Thank you for your reply it is nice to see not everybody is se politicaly corect with what series it is. They know what we mean by it.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Common useage is often incorrect, but we normally know what folks mean.

Certainly we all know what Series I means, I was just razzing the original poster. No such thing, of course, but pre-Series II is a bit cumbersome!

There's also no Series IIe, other than what's printed on the Kimber box label. But those with the label on the box have the infamous external extractor.

Likewise Series 70 refers to a specific Colt's pistol series which includes a funny, fragile barrel bushing. But it's generally accepted to refer to anything pre-Series 80, the Colt's pistols with the firing pin interlock controlled by the trigger. By this reasoning my 1918 M1911 (not A1) is a Series 70. :rolleyes:

The list goes on! AR15 A3 models are flattop receivers according to some manufacturers even though the M16A3 has a fixed handle. The M16A4 has the detachable handle.

You get the idea!

Oh yeah, the Officer Model is a revolver! :cool:

-- Chuck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts