1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put in a wilson combat sear spring in my rock iland and the grip safty will not engage meaning i can put the trigger and the gun will fire. the grip safty has plenty of spring is there somthing wore out that i need to replace???? ive tryed to adjust the sear spring with no luck help please

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Just changed the spring? Odd...
Just as a test put the original back in and see if the thing straightens out.
If it does, try the new one again.

Then an up-date, please.:)
Kur

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Is the grip safety returning to it's normal position or is it sort of "stuck" in a bit?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Is the grip safety returning to it's normal position or is it sort of "stuck" in a bit?
I wondered about that too, but the spring was the only part supposedly changed.

Kur

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I wondered about that too, but the spring was the only part supposedly changed.

Kur
Hi Kur

Do you think if the spring isn't pushing the grip safety back out enough he could have this problem.. I think yeah, it's possible.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Hi Kur

Do you think if the spring isn't pushing the grip safety back out enough he could have this problem.. I think yeah, it's possible.
The OP mentioned it had plenty of spring, but plenty is subjective, so I'm a bit stymied if he is, in fact, using all the original parts.
Unless, as Log mentioned once, the right leaf is twisted and sort of bound against the side of the grip safety.

Regards,:)
Kur

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Kur,

It's mechanical and so long as the grip safety is pushed out all the way I HAS TO work.. It has no choice.. There is something wrong with the placement of the spring that isn't pushing the safety all the way out.... What other possibilities are there?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Kur,

It's mechanical and so long as the grip safety is pushed out all the way I HAS TO work.. It has no choice.. There is something wrong with the placement of the spring that isn't pushing the safety all the way out.... What other possibilities are there?
The other one I can think of is a really slim chance of being right.
The disco leaf isn't pushing the trigger all the way forward, out from under the grip safety.
But you would expect the disco to not reset in that case.

Guess we need to wait for more info.:confused:
Kur

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
The only other possibility that I can think of (except another part being replace or modified) is that the leaf spring may not have been seated in the slot, which I would think would place its tips incorrectly. Graspin' at straws.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The only other possibility that I can think of (except another part being replace or modified) is that the leaf spring may not have been seated in the slot, which I would think would place its tips incorrectly. Graspin' at straws.
Welcome to the Straw Grasping Club. We are currently accepting new members, no dues on this question.:biglaugh:

Can the Mainspring Housing go all the way in if the little bendy end isn't seated?

Kur

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Heck, I dunno. Never tried.

Of course with sufficient will and a big enough hammer, 'bout anything's doable. :biglaugh:
:biglaugh:Well, come on, if you got one handy, try it.
All I have with me are several Coonans and a few wheelguns....:biglaugh:
Go the extra mile.:)

Leave out the hammer bit,though.:biglaugh:

Kur

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
BigJon

Coonan's are what I'm living for now.
So as not to hi-jack this thread, see the Coonan thread in other 1911's.

Did you get that MSH hammered in yet?:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Kur:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I had a helluva time getting the mainspring housing back into the gun correctly the first time I did a full dis-assembly, but after I figured it out, it was rather simple.
:biglaugh:Most of the 1911 stuff is like that.:biglaugh:

Kur

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Can the Mainspring Housing go all the way in if the little bendy end isn't seated?

Kur
I can assure you that with enough force applied, the mainspring housing will go by an incorrectly seated sear spring. That, and many other interesting events occurred in the class I just finished.
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I can assure you that with enough force applied, the mainspring housing will go by an incorrectly seated sear spring. That, and many other interesting events occurred in the class I just finished.
:biglaugh:
Did you get to award anyone the "Rubber Bladed Hacksaw Award"?
:biglaugh: A fellow was death to hacksaw blades in our class, so we set his saw up with a blade cut from an innertube.
I don't understand how he could fail to see the humor of that.:confused:

BigJon, you can only try the experiment with your fingers.
What are you hiding behind your back? Don't look at me so innocently.....
Oh,...a hammer....Mr. Rodgers stopped you just in time, I see....

Kur

1 - 20 of 37 Posts