1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Series 70 with a bushing that accepts a grip screw most of the way but not all the way.
Would I be better off to replace bushing or refresh the threads ?
If freshing the threads is the way to go can someone tell me the tap size I would need.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
TacoFrank

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I would just chase the threads with a tap. Available from Brownells or Midway in size .150"x50 TPI.
Joe

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, chase the bushing threads or just replace the bushings. You'll find a wide assortment on eBay. If you replace the bushings, clean the threads in the frame with alcohol & a q-tip, then put a drop of blue loctite on each.

Get a bag of #60 O-rings at Lowes for the screws.

This all assumes your gun isn't wearing or doesn't have bushings for thin grips, otherwise the screws will bind your magazine.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
The tap is $20 or $30 and you will probably only use it one time. A proper bushing driver bit and a set of bushings can be had for about the same price. You'll probably use the driver more often. Or you can sell it here to someone else who has bushing problems. www.woodgrips.com has drivers and bushings AND they only charge $2.00 shipping.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Some bushing are staked, some loctite in place (require heat to remove). So removing them may not be the easiest to do. The special driver bit is a saver here. Easier chasing the threads if the grip screws are in good shape.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I am not sure which way to go. Will the bushing driver remove a bushing thats been loctited in?
TF

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Use the tip of a soldering iron to heat the bushing first. This will soften the loctite allowing for easy removal with the bushing driver.

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
Great. Suppose the bushing on this Colt is staked? Then he might mess up the frame threads removing it, all to keep from buying one tap that he can probably turn around and sell here. Do not ever remove a bushing that you don't have to. It's the single most potentially disastrous thing you can attempt on a 1911.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys ! You all have given me a lot of food for thought. Now I just need to pick one and move forward.
Thanks,
TF

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Great. Suppose the bushing on this Colt is staked? Then he might mess up the frame threads removing it, all to keep from buying one tap that he can probably turn around and sell here. Do not ever remove a bushing that you don't have to. It's the single most potentially disastrous thing you can attempt on a 1911.
Especially if the gun has an Aluminum frame...:eek:
Joe

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
That's right, and a poster here found that out recently. Just wondering if the OP tried a different screw in the bushing? I like the suggestion to take it to a gunsmith for the tap job. He will replace the bushing if he has to, and consequently will be responsible for the work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll buy the tap from midway and give it a shot. If I screw up I'll take it to a local smith and have him replace the bushing.
I'll let you all know how I come out.
Thanks For The Help,
TacoFrank

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got my tap from Midway today and chased the threads on my grip bushing with great success. Best $20.00 I've spent in awhile.
TacoFrank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts