1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.236X60 ????

Was this JMB's idea or Colts?

Why?

A .236X60 tap at Brownells is 24 bucks a .250X 20 tap at local hardware store is 2 bucks.

Go figure.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The tap at the local store is either .25-20 or .25-28. Measure the thickness of the frame as the bushing goes through it. I think you will fine that you sill get at most 1 to 1-1/2 threads with a 28 pitch thread. Having said that you will get only 3-4 threads with a 60 pitch tap. They don't make anywhere near as many .25-60 taps as they do .25-20.

Good Luck Ed

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Guns were among the very first first mass produced items, and firearms production long antedated the establishment of standard screw diameter and thread pitch. U.S. gun companies made their own taps and dies and picked what they felt was the right size and pitch for the job. Even when things did get standardized (sort of) the gun companies were stuck with the old sizes which worked for them and made little effort to change. Any change to the 1911 would also have meant loss of parts interchangeability, something that would not be acceptable in a military pistol.

Jim

·
Registered
673 Posts
Uniform National Standards Act 1938 this is first of the current general definition of English threads. Metric threads are defined later.

Jim Keenan said:
Guns were among the very first first mass produced items, and firearms production long antedated the establishment of standard screw diameter and thread pitch. U.S. gun companies made their own taps and dies and picked what they felt was the right size and pitch for the job. Even when things did get standardized (sort of) the gun companies were stuck with the old sizes which worked for them and made little effort to change. Any change to the 1911 would also have meant loss of parts interchangeability, something that would not be acceptable in a military pistol.

Jim

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you really want to complain, why not complain about the thread direction. Why not make them opposite so that they do not back out when you loosen the screws......

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I would rather deal with the loosening when I am tightening the screw then the opposite. Easier to recify then trying to loosen a frozen screw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for waking me up Scalinghammer, I have a talent for missing the obvious.

Peter,I see how that makes sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts