1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, it's been kinda dead around here, so I'll toss out some burning questions
-

Are there allen-headed grip screws available in the thread pitch used on the Dalys?

Can mil-spec threaded grip screw bushings be used in the Daly frame, or are these a non-standard pitch?

How are the grip screw bushings secured to the frame - staked, Loc-Tite-ed, or just gorilla-torqued. (I recall a thread, perhaps on The Firing Line, where a Large and Powerful Man with the right size screwdriver nearly herniated himself trying to remove the bushings from his Daly)

Thanks in advance?

Tony

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am pretty sure that the Grip Screws used in my Charles Daly have a coarser thread than a Colt. I had a set of stainless allen head grip screws from Wilson Combat but they did not fit either. By the way, I found some nice stainless allen head screws that fit my Charles Daly at a local hardware store. They were only ~29 cents apiece and they look pretty good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
weird!
i had wilson stainless allens on my daly holding a pair of kim ahernd (?) grips. worked fine for me. although the $20 mag well that i bought from wilsons wouldn't fit. (the type that clips on to the screw bushings.)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hey guys,

The differing grip screws makes me wonder...have you found any other "differences" on the Daly from standard 1911's?

They seem like a good deal, but I wouldn't want another pistol that is non spec - got quite a few aftermarket repair parts and want them to fit if needed.

Wonder if the screw differences are due to early or late models?

JSP

·
Registered
138 Posts
i had a gunsmith replace the factory trigger, and beaver tail safety w/ a chip mc cormick. he had to cut the frame a little, but came out sweet. i actually want to buy another one, and i wouldnt have any problem recomending one to anyone. as far as spec- you can make anything work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Wyeth,

Yeah, I'm used to fitting parts and minor smithing, but I wonder if the frame is threaded differently for the grip screw bushings?

I can see a late night last minute repair screeching to a halt when I find out the replacement bushing has a different thread....aaaarrrggghhh

Did you get one of the skeletonized McCormick composite triggers? I've got them on a couple of pistols and like em. Why the beavertail change? Cosmetic or feel?

JSP

·
Registered
233 Posts
yes i would like to mention,that i purshased gripp bushings and stainless allenheaded screws for my fs daly,i hade no problems taking the old ones out-and the american made one went in with no problems.the daly worked fine,but i replaced severial parts with after market parts because incomparision the after market seemed to be better made.my daly looks really good and shoots tight groups and proved to be dependable to boot.i like to note with any 1911 modle and clones-when it comes to the many makes of parts,usely thers minor fitting.McCORMICKS NEW 2001 lowprofile combat rear sights fit the daly with no gunsmithing,and they look custom.

------------------

·
Registered
610 Posts
The grip screws on the older CD's are threaded at 8-32. Not sure about the new line of pistols. 8-32 screws are very common and come in almost any style you want. You can also pick them up cheaper than you can "stock" screws for say, a Colt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts