1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to increase the thickness of my new STI Trojan grip, which came with the rosewood thin panels, by either buying new grips, or making ‘inserts’ to put under the thin grips to make them about 1/16” thicker.

Either way, I will need longer screws. I contacted STI, via e-mail, and Chris replied that they do not have longer screws. (Wonder what they use for their thicker grips?)

I tried the screws from my Kimber SST-II on the Trojan. The thread is the same, and the screws would be long enough (may have to grind them off if they protrude into the mag well) but the head of the Trojan screws is larger diameter, Ø0.312, than the Kimber screws, Ø0.275.

I looked at MidwayUSA, and they list several such screws, including from Ed Brown, EGW, Hogue, Swenson, and Wilson. Unfortunately, they do not provide any dimensions. I looked at the Ed Brown, Wilson and Hogue websites, but again no luck – no dimensions.

Chances are the any of the screws I buy will work as far as thread and length, but not the head diameter. Does anyone know what screws are offered with the ‘larger’ (5/16”) head diameter?

Thanks for your help!

Alex

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jlo -

I tried Brownells and looked at their catalog (mine is a couple of years old, #56). They do do give the thread spec: .150"-50, and the length, .250" which is just what I need, but nothing about the head diameter.

If I can't find the larger head screws, I may just have to go with the smaller ones and use washers.

It is just hard for me to believe that STI does not have a longer screw available with the Ø0.312" head.

Thanks!

Alex

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.