1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so this is a little unusual. I have a stainless full-size Colt 1911, that I cannot find a set of grips for that suit me. I've tried rosewood, black rubber, ivory, and laminated camo. I don't like the looks of any of them on it. Does anyone have any suggestions, or better yet, pictures? Nothing I try looks "right" on this pistol for some reason, and I'm getting frustrated. ==Bob

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I'm partial to maple or desert ironwood myself, but I like wood.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Check out this site. http://www.esmeralda.cc/ All she does is Cocobolo grips and they are the best I have ever seen.

Here is a pic of a set of her grips:

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
for stainless I really like stag, I'm thinking about a pair for my Randall

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Olive Gray AlumaGrips are my favorite on a stainless pistol. Check the "testimonials" page on the website (link above).

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
On my stainless, I have Ahrends Cordia wood, and Tulipwood. Also some plain old walnut.

All of theses are fully-checkered, not diamond.

I guess I had some reddish mahogany diamond-checkered that were OK, but not as good as the three mentioned.

I tried coco-bolo, but just too dark, I guess. The lighter woods look much better.

Did you try pickagrip.com ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys are all crazy!, the best way to outfit your 1911 is with IVORY grips, not that fake white junk, real IVORY I have a set on my stainless officers model That I use for carry.(i'll try to put up a pic) they look great, I allways get compliments at thge range. The grip maker I use, Jim at nutmeg sports does a great job look at his site @ nutmegsports.com
he's got a lot of great pics. and he'll make a custom set for you something that nobody else has. real Ivory is the best!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey I forgot to ask
does anybody know who will checker the front strap on my stainless officers model, some ideas would be good too.
thanks

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sirty0007 -

I agree with you completely. I have a set of Jim's Ivory grips on my Ultra Carry which I carry 24/7. I don't like regular fat grips and I don't like the ultra thin grips. The thickness of these are right in the middle of the two styles. Mine have yellowed quite nicely and look like they are 100 years old.

MadDog :cool: :D :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey mad dog
I like my grips thicker than stock grips on my officers model . When I asked Jim he said "no problem". It's nice to deal with a guy that likes to make his customers happy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts