1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the verge of buying a new 9 mm Hi Power Standard this weekend. The only Hi Power I've handled is the .40 and the feel is so good in my hand that I can live with the trigger not being of the match variety. One question: Are the grips for the 13 round 9mm model much bigger than the 10 round model? I have relatively small hands.

Thank you.

Pete

·
Registered
26 Posts
grip size

I don't think there is any difference in grip size between a 9mm and .40. I have both.
I put the thin black Micarta grips from Brownell's on both of mine. I'd have trouble picking which of these two guns I like most.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
The only difference will be the dimensions of the grip panels themselves. The capacity differences in 9mm are merely a matter of magazines. You'll find flush-fit mags that hold 10, and some that hold 13. If you can put up with an additional 1/2", there are 15-rounders, and another 1/4" will get you 17.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main question is whether there will be any difference in the 9mm between a 10 round and 13 round magazine such that the 13 round mag gun is so much bigger a grip that I'll be struggling to have good finger position on the trigger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My main question is whether there will be any difference in the 9mm between a 10 round and 13 round magazine such that the 13 round mag gun is so much bigger a grip that I'll be struggling to have good finger position on the trigger.
The 10rd magazine is just a plugged version of the 13rd, so the only perceptible difference when inserted into the gun is their weight. They are the same width and length. .40 S&W magazines are also the same size. In fact, both calibers (and capacities) use the same frame and the difference in "feel" between calibers arises from the slightly thicker and heavier .40 slide.

10rd 9mm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get it now. I was thinking along the lines of a double-stacked mag maybe like the Glock 45s. Another problem gun for me is the Beretta. I'd like to have one but I just can't get my finger comfortable on the trigger or feel like I've got good control.

Pete

·
Registered
802 Posts
Regarding receiver dimensions, they're exactly the same regardless as to whether the Hi-Power is a 9mm or a .40. So in terms of grips, they're identical (or dependant upon your grip of choice). The general concensus seems to be that Craig Spegel grips have the thinnest profile, and Hogue's rubber fingergroove grips the thickest. I personally prefer the Hogue grips, as they seem to do the best job in properly positioning my triggerfinger-but that's just me. There are a lot of good choices available; if you use the "search" function, you'll find plenty of discussion and pictures.

For holstering, keep in mind that the .40's SLIDE is a bit taller and wider-this is usually not a big deal with a leather or horsehide holster (both 9mm and .40 guns seem to work interchangably in the same holster), but in a kydex holster (which will be more specifically molded, and of less flexible material) you should specify exactly which one the holster is for.

Magazine exterior dimensions are exactly the same for both calibers.

Best, Jon

·
Premium Member
15,645 Posts
Okay, I guarantee that if the Beretta feels too big, the HP will feel better. That is exactly the switch I made years ago. A son with larger hands now enjoys the 92FS while I have a FEG PJK-9HP. I have expanded the HP's utility with a Ciener .22 kit and a few 15 rd and 17 rd 9mm mags. Although the grip frame is still bigger than a 1911, it's comfortable enough. I found a pair of full-checkered contoured grips that make it even better, and I recommend this style.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Funny, but the 1911 grip feels bigger in my hand than the HP. I think the HP is a bit wider, but the 1911 is longer, front to back.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For what it's worth, I also use the black micartas from Brownell's, I understand the Spegels fit better. The Hogue rubber grips get in the way of the thumb safety for me.

The 9mm and .40 both use the same grips, but there is a difference between the two pistols when I pick them up.

Holster wise, my experience says it depends. My Rafter S leather holster works well for my 9mm MKIII, but I ordered it for my .40's and it is too tight for them. My Kramer IWB #2 horsehide, ordered for my .40, has always fit well and after several years it works for the 9mm too. My Sparks SS2 has always worked well for the 9mm it was ordered for, but is too tight for the .40. My Blade Tech UCH works well for both the 9mm and the .40...

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
I have Spegels on my HP, and the gun does feel "smaller" in my hand than a 1911. As noted, the circumference is probably very close to a 1911, but the difference in depth changes the feel more than the width.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts