1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last few years I've read numerous articles about how to improve the gripping surface of a firearm.Checkering and stippling are both great options, however I recently applied some good old fashioned skateboard tape to a few strategic places and boy does it make one hell of difference.
Does anyone have a opinion on this????

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
A very common solution to the the lack of checkering. Works for lots. I prefer Hogue wrap around rubber finger grooves, so I have no need for checkering or tape.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have heard about the skateboard tape for a long time but never really have a chance to mess with it.

Several years ago when I decided to have my Browning HP checkered on the front strap, my local gunsmith did not want to work on it since the front strap is very thin. So I asked him to come up with a solution.

He did try Wilson's checker plate, dragon skin, but the bathtup tape was the cheapest and the best he came up with. And I really like the feeling. It's thinner than my old Pachmayer wrap around grip.

At home depot, it's $2-3 per yard, very tough and never peel on gerosene (the way I clean my guns.) For 5 years now, I replaced it only once.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use "SKID GUARD SAFETY TAPE" from Lowes.
It is the stuff you put on stairs or steps for your deck it is in the saftey dept. of the store $4 for 2x96 roll.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I think the grip/skateboard tape works great! I will probably never pay to have checkering added to another gun. Checkering is better, but tremendously expensive compared to the tape. Also, the pattern of the grip area can be changed to suit your needs - maybe the entire front strap, then later you decide that you only want it on part of the area. You can't make changes like that with checkering.

I have never seen it in any color other than black, although it looks good in contrast with the stainless appearance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Make it whatever color you want before you install it with krylon.As the paint wears off the high spots it'll leave an attractive freckled look.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wade, my local hardware store had it in grey a while back and I may still have some floating around. If you can't find any, drop me an email at [email protected] and I will send you a piece if I can find it.

Regards,
Frank

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get it in any color you want at skateboard shops. I think I saw about 12 different colors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have it on both my guv models.
I am having my Colt totally
customized; about 1500 dollars worth
of work. The one thing I couldn't
justify was the hundred-sixty dollar
cost of front strap checkering.
That money went to improving the guns
performance. I'll make do with grip tape
and suffer the humiliation.
It just plain works and the price is right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I to use the "SKID GUARD SAFETY TAPE" from Lowes. The best part about using tape is if you don't like it all you do it take it off. The first tape job I did was to high up on the front strap.........so I just removed the tape and tried again. something that would be costly to do with checking (if you could do it at all).

·
Registered
451 Posts
One other piece of advice: degrease the front strap before you put the tape on or it will not adhere well. Simple Green works well for this.

Regards,
Frank

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I use Beer City 'Lite' Skateboard tape on my Stainless Colt's frontstrap. I used to use Hogue and Pachmayr wraparounds, but eventually the grooves on both started to annoy me for one reason or another. So I switched to the skateboard tape. I really haven't noticed any difference in my shooting, but I'm hoping it'll toughen up my fingers so I'll be ready for the 30 LPI on my new pistol

TRB

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've seen clear skateboard tape a few years ago.Not sure if they still make it.I used it about ten tears ago when I used to skate.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Our local hardware sells 3-M stair tread tape in black and gray. I like this better than "Skateboard tape". Email me your mailing address and I'll send you a foot.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Another hint: Take the grips off and heat the front strap with a hair dryer as this helps it bond. Also, use tape wide enough so that the grip panels cover it as this also helps keep it from rolling.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the offer banjobart (and faiello5), I was dreading having to drive to the big city skateboard shop to look for grey tape.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts