1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after shooting 40rds of PowRball I noticed my grips came loose - I used a flat head screwdriver and made them hand tight and went on to shoot again... well after shooting standard pressure ammo they got loose again...

shall i use loctite and then screw them down? what is the proper way to do this and what kind of loctite shall i use?

I DO NOT want to strip the screws...

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
I like little-bitty rubber o-rings. They also snug up grips with oversized holes. Check the plumbing section of Home Depot.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The rubber rings will work something like a locking washer. Aside from what AZ Husker noted, the small rubber rings will also provide friction for the screws to help keep them from working loose. The friction will be enhanced by the small amount of compression of the rubber which will keep pressure on the screws. As they flex slightly, they will keep contact and pressure even under recoil. They will also help limit movement of the slab even if the screw does manage to work loose. The best part is that the process can be reversed 100%. Glues and loctite can as well, but not nearly so easily.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Simple fix. Just use hex head screws instead. I think you can tighten them a little more using the allen wrench, as apposed to the flat head type. Ever since I made the switch, mine have NEVER come loose.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good deal, i'll buy some screws this weekend. My main concern is I do not want to strip the threads on the frame...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would try the allen screws too. Just avoid loc tite on the grip screws. If you do put it on them you increase the chance that you will back out your grip screw bushings when you try to unscrew your grip screws. If that does happen it's no big deal - UNLESS you strip the bushing or the frame and then it's a hassel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I put a small strip of teflon tape on the grip screws. It's reversible like the rubber washers, but it doesn't make the screws stick out.

I do the same thing on the 2-piece guide rod in my para-ordnance.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sometimes its the grip itself. With so many different people making 1911s sometimes grip makers go a little wide on the tolerances for the hole itself. You can tighten down the screw as much as physically possible, yet because the hole itself is oversided compared to the bushings, it will still move under recoil.

My fix has been a couple of small dabs of expoxy cement around the rim of grip screw hole on the backside of the grip. After it's hardened, use an x-acto knife to trim it down just enough for a tight fit over the bushing. A cheap quick fix is a shim of thin plastic, usually a piece of thick heavy mil plastic from a commercial zip lock bag, wedged between the bushing and the inside of the grip hole.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My .02. I had the same problem with my CQB-loose grips every 100 rounds. I called Wilson & they said: "That's the nature of the beast with the 1911." I put on Hogue rubber grips & the problem disappeared completely. I'd imagine the rubber washer idea would work too, if you really like the wood grips.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had to use Blue Loc-tite on the bushing and then I used
Teflon tape on the screws. I went ahead and ordered extra
screws and bushings just in case in case I have a problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My screws used to shoot loose also. I just kept re-tightening them and eventually it stopped. Maybe the wood compresses when the grips are new, then finally stops compressing and the screws begin to hold tight?
Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here in Michigan where I live, next to water, the humidity makes the wood shrink and expand. Even our cabinets fit nicely one month and loosely the next. I find my grips follow a similar fate. Like you, I tighten them rather than put adhesives or tape. I find it better to use routine maintenance on the firearm rather that take things for granted, so to speak. If one expects the firearm to perform flawlessly then one has to pay attention to the details. I never get up and put on my CCW weapon without fully checking it out. To do so is inviting problems. Problems are something that may get you killed or injured.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts