1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced the wraparound Pachmayr grips on their two-tone Practical? Got any pics?

I really dislike the stockers and have been meaning to replace them since day 1, but have never gotten around to it. I'm figuring that something black would be best looking. Donno if I want basic black or maybe something a little fancier such as black pearlite or the like.

D

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't have a picture handy, but I have replaced mine with thin black micarta grips. The fat rubber ones are just too bulky for me. Watch-Six

·
Registered
513 Posts
Watch-Six said:
I don't have a picture handy, but I have replaced mine with thin black micarta grips. The fat rubber ones are just too bulky for me. Watch-Six
Where can I get micarta grips for the HP?

·
Registered
754 Posts
DMF said:
Where can I get micarta grips for the HP?
If you can hang for a couple days you might be able to place an order for a brand new grip from "Gunners" who are in the process of prototyping BHP grips to produce sets for the BHP similar to their 1911 grips. Read the link listed in the above thread.

If you're familiar with Gunner Grips then this should interest you, because they're reall popular with the 1911 crowd!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks Stinger.

I am following the Gunner Grips thread. But the grips sent as a model for the prototype contain a "palmswell" and therefore the Gunner version might also. I can't stand grips with a palmswell so I'm looking for a backup plan just in case.

·
Registered
247 Posts
http://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13960

I call these my "Border" grips because they look like something you'd see along the Texas-Mexican Border. Kinda' Texas cowboy, kinda' Mexican Aduana/Customs. They started out as inexpensive Mexican made plastic/polyester pearl-like grips. Indeed, I bought them no less than 4 or 5 blocks away from the Mexican Border in El Paso, TX back in 2000.

When I got the Browning Hi Power Practical in 2001, I was not keen on the bulk and heavy Pachmayr grips at all. I went through some other grips I had collected and tried the Mexcian made "pearls". Amazingly, they looked kinda' good. I asked my dad what he thought about them and of course he quoted Patton but, admitted they looked good with the two-tone. I asked my g/f what she thought and she really liked them. Friends of mine saw them and really liked them. Even though they're pearl grips, they look really good. I've considered getting different grips since then, but I just can't bear to take them off now. The picture doesn't do them justice. You don't have to like them, but it gives you ideas aside from the typical brown wood and black plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks. The top pistol went out to Arizona Reponse Systems a few years ago for trigger work, basis reliability, and Trijicons.

The FN will go to Don Willams for his street package in October.

I will eventually move the hard chromed gun to Heinie's. Wish I knew that at the time. Live and learn.

·
Registered
511 Posts
GnR,

What do you think about the Trijicons on your HP? Do you not like them?

If you go with Heinies, won't you have to refinish the pistol?

Nice looking guns.

Steve

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah, I will have to refinish them.

I've just gotten used to and like front dot's only or the Heinie Straight 8's (two vertical dots). I don't care for the 3 dots. Otherwise, the Trijicons have been good.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Very nice. I am very new to HP's and haven't noticed the padded mag base pads before. Aftermarket on a regular mag or something different?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
rtab1 said:
Very nice. I am very new to HP's and haven't noticed the padded mag base pads before. Aftermarket on a regular mag or something different?
Factory, but you can buy the bumpers serperately.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts