1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year Folks!,

You probably already know, but Cylinder & Slide make a super set of stocks for the WW1 Colt, or any Colt 1911 that you want a period look for. I used a set on my Turnbull Restored 1911 Army, alas, it was sold to pay the Son's tuition!, but I have one of the Colt WW1 Re-Issues, so I'm good!, happy holidays to all!

Sincerely,
Mike

https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp...f=&pg=prod&ref=CS268&cat=12&catstr=HOME:57:12

·
Administrator
73,765 Posts
I bought a set from them once. They look very authentic, but at least with the pair I got I noticed they were very thick. In the end I sold them and bought some repros from Hogue instead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grips for Colt WW1

Hey there!, You know?, mine are a bit, say bulky, I have the Hogue Walnut too, nice set!

Happy New Year to you!

Mike

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I bought 2 pair of the Cylinder-Slide repo grips and like you and dsk said they were too thick, they didn't taper down at the edges making them seem way too thick. They look awesome though. I've got the Houge and their profile is better but they are too light in color for my tastes so I stained them darker (much better). I put them on my 01918 and they look better than the ones that came on it. There nice and dark but the diamonds are too wide.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I first bought the C&S for my repro and the holes were not drilled correctly through the large diamonds - they were off center a bit. The replacements I got were drilled correctly, but the finish had a really dark, plasticky look to it, so I got my money back. I ended up getting the Hogues. They were extremely blonde looking, but cut nicely, so I took some walnut stain to them, followed by some Tru Oil, and they look really nice now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All, I'm working both pairs as we speak, most likely the Hogues will stay!, have a Happy New Year, and be safe tonight!, best to you all in 08!

Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
all photos of the Hogues grips, what the part number for the Hogues and who has the best deal on them???

·
Registered
642 Posts
my refurb by Bill Adair features grips he supplied....no idea how actually authentic they are but they look close to my untrained eye, and they are slim enough I have no trouble with reaching the trigger with my stumpy digits....I have no idea where they come from, otherwise....$35 from Bill...

·
Banned
7,485 Posts

I think these are C&S. Pistol is from 1919. Government contract marked on the frame under the slide, no final inspection mark I can find.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
290 Posts
yea I like Craig Spegel, nonskeder Did you buy a set and if so what did it cost?

·
Registered
55 Posts
yea I like Craig Spegel, nonskeder Did you buy a set and if so what did it cost?
I have bought several pair of Spegel grips from them but dont remember what the walnut ones cost. It was less than the high end cocobolo or ironwood. Novaks is also a good place to find Spegel grips. Sorry to be so vague but the grips are going on a Yost retro and I have been on the list for that project for so many months that I have gone brain dead on what the grips cost. Give Lightning Arms a shout and "if" they have them they will tell you the cost of all their stuff and send you pics as well.

The Spegels have to be fitted somewhat but it is not that tough. I have used Spegel, Esmerelda, Houge, Arhends and the Spegels are hands down the best looking and fitting grip I have found. A little more money but well worth it IMOP. John.

·
Registered
290 Posts
LIGHTNING ARMS SPORTS INC <[email protected]> wrote:

Your requested product is on backorder with no ETA.

They come in one grade only.

We cannot quote pricing until we receive the product and know our cost.

Regards,

Craig & Audrey

·
Registered
55 Posts
The grips I got are the ones pictured on their web site. As I remember at the time that was the only walnut pair available and I bought them along with some BTS cocobolo and Iron wood grips. The one thing I have learned about buying these grips is to get them when they are in stock as you do have to wait sometimes. I think the pics on the Novak site are better. I have bought 2 pair from Novak and they came just as shown in the pics.

For some reason the way my computor is set up the pics from Lightning Sports (they will send you any you ask for) show the grips being darker than they really are. The pics on their web site are accurate as to color and grain. John.

·
Registered
290 Posts
so what do you think about colt 1918 grips

I really love my new love 1918, but Is it me or what the grips on my 1918 are so lite in (wt) not color it look and feel like Balsa wood!!! I HAVE ORDER A set of Hogue Walnut, I THINK that Hogue made the grips for colt on the frist run of the 1911. well I JUST HOPE THEY ARE HEAVY,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts