1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a GI 45 and am shopping around for a set of grips for it. Not a huge fan of the US cut into the side of the grip. Who here has changed out the grips and which grips look good with this setup?

·
Registered
15 Posts
inzane123 said:
I just purchased a GI 45 and am shopping around for a set of grips for it. Not a huge fan of the US cut into the side of the grip. Who here has changed out the grips and which grips look good with this setup?
I got a set of the cocobolo grips from CTD(CLICK) and they look great and feel nice, the checkering is much cleaner then the US grips.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Depends on what you want. Do you want a retro look? If so, I'd go for walnut double-diamonds, which can be easily found on eBay. Do you want something different and highly functional? My blued Colt Commander wears Ahrends double-diamond Zebrawood grips. I tend to prefer double-diamond designs, but I have black Alumagrips on my parked Milspec that I love. The Hogue website has selections of different woods, and some people love micarta. What is it that you're trying to do?

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
Double diamonds have no place on the M1911A1 despite looking good. They're M1911 (WW1) grips.,

Most authentic grips are the plastic USGI grips from the WW2 period. These are available at most gun shows and on the web (I can't find the link) where I just got a pair.

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
I have

Full checkered walnut on my WWII GI and Alumagrips on my Mil-Spec. The full checkering looks about right for the GI, double diamonds just don't look right. I would have gone with Alumagrips, but again, the look was wrong for a basic GI styled pistol.

Robert

·
Registered
147 Posts
The possibilities are endless...

Whatever suits your tastes.

Best of all, (although it gets a little expensive) you can buy a few sets of grips and replace them to whatever suits you at the time.

I finally settled on Ajax black pearlite. (but mine's a polished stainless model)

A friend has Colt delta elites on his Kimber Warrior (still can't figure that one out:scratch: but he likes it.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
On the Mil- spec I have, one of the first things I did was change the grips, Mainly because I already knew the stock plastic ones will crack sooner or later. I had a spare set of black rubber, double diamond grips that came from a Kimber I still have, they dropped right on, look great, feel pretty good, and they'll never crack, best of all the cost...Nothing....sometimes it does pay to be a pack rat...

·
Administrator
13,406 Posts
Welcome to the forum !

inzane123 said:
You might check here . With over 700 replies , you're bound to see something you like . :cool:

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74889

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I like the rubber wrap around grips with the finger grooves. The best part is CDNN has them for $8 in the IAI brand. I bought many of them. They feel equal to the more expensive pachmayr's for less than 1/3rd the price. These are excellent grips for a beater/shooter 1911/45acp. I like the quality of the rubber wrap around pachmayr's I have them on one of my 45's but i can't afford to put them on every 45 i have.

I do have awesome wood grips but they hardley see the light of day there for presentations. I like the wood but i would hate to scratch them up during use. A 1911/1911a1 just doesn't look right without a real wood grip its like a garand or m1a without real wood stock but the rubber takes a beating.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ralph said:
On the Mil- spec I have, one of the first things I did was change the grips, Mainly because I already knew the stock plastic ones will crack sooner or later. I had a spare set of black rubber, double diamond grips that came from a Kimber I still have, they dropped right on, look great, feel pretty good, and they'll never crack, best of all the cost...Nothing....sometimes it does pay to be a pack rat...
+1

I really like the look and feel of the Kimber rubber grip panels on my GI.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If you are looking for an 'original' look, get some Keys grips (like the ones that were on the original GI issue 1911s. I have a friend that has a GI45 with keys on it. It looks more original with them on, and they aren't uncomfortable. Personal preference thing though - I'm just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Chuck S said:
Double diamonds have no place on the M1911A1 despite looking good. They're M1911 (WW1) grips.,

Most authentic grips are the plastic USGI grips from the WW2 period. These are available at most gun shows and on the web (I can't find the link) where I just got a pair.

-- Chuck
http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=60_88

looks like they've upped the price. i got mine for $10 shipped.

i had mine made at http://www.gungrips.net/

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/434/dutygun.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Double diamonds have no place on the M1911A1...
Sure they do. They go right on over the grip screw bushings.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.