1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I probably already know what most of the responses are going to be, but being the risk taker I am I'm going to pose this question anyway. :) Here is my question; If one of us had to use our pistol for self defense and it was equipped with grips with some image, say with the grim reaper or a skull of some type, etc. would an attorney/D.A. use that against us? :confused: Just food for thought.

Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
The poor taste police would take them grips away and issue a ticket. :barf:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Well now... it is a good question.. and i think there would be some lawyer that "Could" use that.. Here are some of the other things they could use.

The terrible HP ammo you had in your gun
The "night sights" you got with your gun
The Mods you installed to make the gun "more lethal"
The "custom trigger job" you had.
Did I mention the ammo yet?

So, yeah.. for sure you could have an issue with the grips you had... BUT in the end... and for me... It really doesn't matter what the lawyers do or think... It doesn't matter because if I had to use my gun it would only be for one reason.. To save my life... and if I did save my life everything that came after that wouldn't matter much...

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
As asinine as that is, it is in fact a very real possibility.

If you had a DA that did not look favorably on the use of deadly force by joe citizen for self defense (it happens all the time), they could well attempt to use this against you.

The situation that is most likely to happen in a legit defensive shooting would be no criminal charges (as it should be), but civil suit brought against you by the "victimized" thugs family.

"Poor Lebron did not deserve this, he was just a boy (6'2" 270) with dreams of becoming a rap star."

I guarentee you that the lawyer would demonize your deadly hand loads designed to maximize the ripping of flesh, customized "hair trigger" and your obvious desire to be a vigilante by carrying a concealed weapon, as well as the skull on your grips proving your twisted state of mind. :hrm:

Stupid yes, but all too often reality.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Prosecutors have been known to use the fact that you chose a gun called the "Python", "Cobra", or “The Judge” because of the names evil connotation which “reflects your intent when purchasing the weapon”, instead of purchasing something called a "Security Six", “Detective Special” or “Trooper”.

I have heard it recommended more than once to go so far as to choose a defensive weapon with a number instead of a name like “1911” or “Model 19” to prevent anything like having it painted to a jury that you think you are a “Detective” or a “Trooper” and other such silliness.

To take a weapon that had perfectly functional grips on it and replace them with something that has the Grim Reaper on them, and then use that weapon to successfully defend yourself? I would almost bet money it would come up if the opportunity arose.

Replacing them is one thing, but personally I would not put something like that on one of mine.

As silly as that all is, let’s face it, we are living in a time when we charge Navy Seals for bloodying the lip of a terrorist murderer during capture.

Common sense does not apply anymore.

The short of it is they will use anything they can. They only have to convince a jury.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
For Hammond

Hammond, I'm pretty sure all of you are on the money so far in the responses, but your description of the hypothetical assailant cracked me up. :biglaugh::biglaugh: "Poor Lebron" indeed! :biglaugh::biglaugh: In all seriousness though, BloodyThumb has made the case for me to avoid any death image grips.

PastorDW,

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've thought of this exact thing before.

Not that I would ever "pimp-out" my Ed Brown with any grips like that, I would never carry any gun that had such things on it: a) Because it's in bad taste & b) Because it could potentially be used against me.

In the last NRA instructor's class I took the instructor shared with the class that the fact that someone had an NRA bumper sticker on their truck had actually been used by a prosecutor in an attempt to make someone look like a killer.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
More to Texas and worry no more! :rock:

Kidding aside, could it be an issue? As mentioned above - probably; but no more so than the ammo you chose, or the color of your weapon (i.e. evil black). These things would probably create more of a problem for you in a civil trial than in a criminal trial. And in the very unfortunate event that you have to defend your life or someone else's, truth be told, leaving someone paralyzed is probably a bigger problem in a civil case than if you were to kill them.

We all know that all of this is a possibility. But also as noted above, if I've used my gun to successfully save my own life or someone else's, anything that comes afterward is secondary. I'm personally not into the grim reaper thing. But if I was, I wouldn't let this dissuade me. Heck I put the Esmeralda grips with the Celtic cross on my EB. I suppose that I could be painted as some kind of religious nut. But there's plenty out that in the big, wide world to worry about without losing sleep over this kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Prosecutors have been known to use the fact that you chose a gun called the "Python", "Cobra", or “The Judge” because of the names evil connotation which “reflects your intent when purchasing the weapon”,

Got any proof of that? Maybe a single case where someone was prosecuted soley because of the name of their weapon.

This is just like all of the other threads where you are going to be prosecuted because of your grips, ammo or trigger job. No one ever post a single case where it has happened. A justified shoot is a justified shoot, regardless of your ammo ,grips or what name is stamped on your pistol.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Yes

I agree... They would try and make a case out of it. I suspect they might try to make a case out of even having nice grips.. or possibly a nice pistol.. A lawyer (rabbi or money changer) can paint Christ in a dim way, regular folks don't have a chance there. It just has to be countered with equal force and similar logic. Things like "my client carries a $1000 pistol because they are the safest to use and are least likely to harm innocent bystanders".. "He uses the same ammo that the FBI uses as it's been proven to be safest and least likely to harm innocent bystanders. Stuff like that... Ron

·
Registered
551 Posts
I choose my ammunition to give me an edge, even if what you say it true, and yes, it could be a potential disadvantage.

I choose a dark finish to give me an edge, or even a hard chrome to give me some protection... whatever... it is not totally cosmetic.

If you want to justify Esmerelda grips to yourself... fine, but don't try to sell that the potential disadvantage to Grim Reaper grips is the same as the potential risk in proper ammunition choice or choosing a non reflecting finish.

Common sense can sometimes still apply if used.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
In criminal law, but not civil law. Being solely responsible is not a requirement, it merely defines a pattern that can make you appear to be a villain. "The guy wears motorcycle boots, has tatoos, body piercing, hooligan weapons with signs of the devil on the handles and talks like hes speaking in ....(yankee) erc.. you've had it.. Your charged jusat got elivated by a couple degrees... JMO.. Ron

Got any proof of that? Maybe a single case where someone was prosecuted soley because of the name of their weapon.

This is just like all of the other threads where you going to be prosecuted because of your grips, ammo or trigger job. No one ever post a single case where it has happened. A justified shoot is a justified shoot, regardless of your ammo ,grips or what name is stamped on your pistol.

·
Registered
551 Posts

This is just like all of the other threads where you going to be prosecuted because of your grips, ammo or trigger job. No one ever post a single case where it has happened. A justified shoot is a justified shoot, regardless of your ammo ,grips or what name is stamped on your pistol.
I am not going to try to prove to anyone a case where someone was prosecuted SOLELY because of the name of their gun because that is NOT what I said. Cases where things like this come up during a court case? Sure.... many times.

And yes, often a clean "shoot" is not prosecuted. But if there is sufficient grey area to proceed with a case and a prosecution occurs, it DOES come up, and it IS used, and I have witnessed it.

Quote me correctly

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I choose my ammunition to give me an edge, even if what you say it true, and yes, it could be a potential disadvantage.

I choose a dark finish to give me an edge, or even a hard chrome to give me some protection... whatever... it is not totally cosmetic.

If you want to justify Esmerelda grips to yourself... fine, but don't try to sell that the potential disadvantage to Grim Reaper grips is the same as the potential risk in proper ammunition choice or choosing a non reflecting finish.

Common sense can sometimes still apply if used.
The point that I was trying to make - and what I think others were trying to make - is that these things *could* be used by a slick lawyer to try to make a case against the person defending life or property, paint the person as looking for trouble.

You're absolutely right - common sense can and does still apply. To reasonable people like you and me, and others that have chimed in. But ALL to often, we find common sense not being applied in the court rooms.

Like I said - I'm not losing any sleep over it. And I certainly don't feel the need to 'justify' my grips. Or my weapon selection or the recipe I use to make my ammo.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I quoted exactly what you said, that's what a quote is.

Please provide a link where someone was prosecuted because of the name on their weapon,or even where it was a deciding factor in a conviction.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Perhaps I misunderstood the intent of your reply FAAPOD. My apologies.

·
Registered
551 Posts
eljay45...

I'm not going to argue the point. You can do the research yourself. I have witnessed it multiple times. Find someone else to play your game.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I'm not going to argue the point. You can do the research yourself. I have witnessed it multiple times.

If you've witnessed it multiple times it would be much easier for you to provide a link to a case to back up your claim rather than me searching every shooting case in the history of this country. Just point me in the right direction, maybe the date and place you saw it happen?

I've yet to see any one post a single case to back up these claims of grips, ammo or trigger jobs getting someone prosecuted in a justified self defense shooting.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
This is just like all of the other threads where you are going to be prosecuted because of your grips, ammo or trigger job. No one ever post a single case where it has happened. A justified shoot is a justified shoot, regardless of your ammo ,grips or what name is stamped on your pistol.
I think you miss the point.. What if the shoot is on the border line of justified.. what then? Where the shoot was in the "grey" area... I think if a "trigger job" "reaper grips" or any other "mod" is gonna be used it's these "border line" cases where you will see it.. and don't tell me it has never happened.. .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts