·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Raasco is your best choice...

Bill

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is the grip on the pt different from a standard 1911?

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
The PT grip is slightly wider, fore and aft, than some 1911 grip frames. Also, the grips for the PT usually have a larger cut for the ambi.
I've successfully used all sorts of grips on my PT before I learned that they weren't supposed to fit. Oh, well.

RAASCO www.raascogrips.com. makes Taurus-specific grips at excellent prices - probably half the price of similar grips from other vendors. He is a really decent guy to work with also.

SARGE www.thefinergrain.com makes really fancy Taurus-specific grips also, if you like those.
He is a Taurus owner himself so he does them right.

SARGE stag:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Burgs is correct that the ambi cut for the Taurus grip is larger than regular ambi cut grips. The Taurus retaining leg is thicker and has a slightly different arc of travel in degrees. This accounts for much of the premature difficulties folks have had with their ambis. The use of grips that put a bind on the ambi.

Another difference is the frame. The grip bushings are in a slightly different location. This will cause some grips to leave a substantial amount of steel showing between the leading edge of the grip and the front strap.

The last difference is the grip screws. They are slightly smaller in diameter. The Raasco website used to show pictures illustrating what the the location of the bushings caused in grip edge to frontstrap. Not sure if they still show that. They do have many many colors available to please any taste.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
some people report (I do too ;) ) that some ambi stocks are not relieved enough for the ambi safety and the stocks can bind there...I believe this was the reason for some to report their ambi safeties breaking in use...no issues with Raasco Taurus spec'd stocks or of course the Taurus plastic ones...

Bill

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I look at raasco Ill probably pick one of their grips. Yea the ambi safety on my pt has a extension and will not work with most grips.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Charcoal silver tone Raasco looks good on stainless.

Heritage brown Raasco looks good on shake and bake black.

These are Taurus bulls head rosewood but whoever made these for Taurus used the colt frame geometry for the screw holes. You can see how the panels line up far from the front strap and close to the msh. See the gap behind the mag catch lock not present on the Raasco. Why they used the wrong frame or grips for an example is beyond me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Chuntaro mentioned a good point. The Raasko grips for PT1911 are made to fit the Tuarus frame,etc. Here is their note:

Taurus PT1911 Grips - We build these grips specifically for the Taurus PT1911! These grips feature these Taurus required changes:
•Larger Counter Bore to Match oversize Taurus Grip Screw
•Lowered Grip Edge to Clear Low Mounted Safety Lever
•Deeper Ambi Cut for Thicker Safety Retension Lever
•Wider Grip at Front Edge for Flat Taurus Frontstrap

We've addressed the Taurus differences and developed a series of grips specifically for the Taurus.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Has anyone tried the new magpul grips on their taurus yet?

I'm on the fence right now between the magpuls and the Raascos. Both companies have pretty good rapport with the firearms community, and unfortunately, that's pretty much the only thing I can base my decision on (well, the magpul grips not being made specifically for a Taurus really don't bother me).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone ordered from http://www.handicraft-vn.com lately?

I know back in '08 people said there weren't any grips for sale on his website anymore and
that he had ripped a few customers off. I'm just curious if anyone has ordered recently as they make a grip that nobody else makes (or at least they claim to...), it looks great on their website and it would mean a lot to me to be able to have that grip for my PT1911, but if I don't hear any recent good feedback of that business I won't bother. It's not worth getting ripped off for money I can barely afford ($70 grips = BS)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welp, I went ahead and purchased the magpul grips. Figured for $25, why not? Might not quite match the two-tone, but it still looks pretty nice and I'm loving its feel. I should be able to take her to the range next week.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
how is the clearance on the right side thumb safety...I find that THIS is where many of my stocks hang up and I suspect it is the reason some report early failure of their ambi safety...the magpuls look nice...

Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts
how is the clearance on the right side thumb safety...I find that THIS is where many of my stocks hang up and I suspect it is the reason some report early failure of their ambi safety...the magpuls look nice...

Bill
After flipping through the safety a bunch, I can say that I'm really feeling no resistance/any difference in feel at all when engaging/disengaging it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
good to know...thanks!

Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts