1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new LDA 14.45. I would like to change out the grips. Can I use grips made for any 1911-style pistol?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Nope. In fact you are going to have a very difficult, if not impossible time finding after market grips. No one that I know of has them.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let a company tell you that the other Para large capacity grips will fit. The single action large capacity Para grips will NOT fit the 14.45 LDA.

Next, DO NOT buy the after market grips advertised on the Para web site. They are crap in the first degree.

I learned this all the hard way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A couple of companies do make aftermarket grips, Brownells does carry some of them. Some are in hard plastic/micarta materials and some soft rubber.

I ordered some Navidrex ultra thin for my P13 once, but they were ugly and thicker than the stock grips. I returned them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I make my own grips for my Para's. I use sheet aluminum that rain gutters are made with. Bend and work them so they fit just right. Mark the screw holes from inside the frame, drill the holes then wrap the grip with skateboard tape. Thinner than factory grips, works great and looks good.

Ed.

[This message has been edited by Shooter Ed (edited 10-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Shooter Ed (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent an e-mail to Para-Ordnance about rosewood grips for the LDA, and got this repsonse:

Try Smith & Alexander at 888-7221911
Thank you for your interest in Para Ordnance,
Sue Hetzel
[email protected]
888-999-9386 Extension #16
Mon/ Tues - Thurs/ Fri 8-4 EST

[This message has been edited by python1340 (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ed .... my old P14-45 has a solid frame, no weight relief cut-outs. So I just used skate board tape to replace the grips.

This, however, did cause ONE MINOR problem. The reduction in grip size is so major that my wife found out that the Para now fits her hands just fine. Guess who has gone back to shooting his Kimber.

Guess I shouldn't complain .... as long as she is involved she can't gripe about my shooting. *grins*

------------------
The 2nd Amendment is the 1st Freedom.

·
Registered
382 Posts
John,
I have tried the skateboard tape wrapped around the frame without grips. Feels pretty good but I missed the vertical voids on each side of the mainspring housing.

Maybe it's time for a second Para.

Ed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ed,
You need an excuse to have more than one Para-Ord.?

Well, this is better than no excuse at all. *grin*

------------------
The 2nd Amendment is the 1st Freedom.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Smith & Alexander has an excellent selection. Put whie micarta "ivory" double diamond checkered grips on mine. All the other coppers give me s*** about my "pimp gun", but ever since I got into Cowboy guns with ivory grips, I've loved the way they looked on a pistol, so I don't care.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts