1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, just wanted to let everyone here know that AR15.com is going to follow up their highly sucessful AR15 group purchase with a 1911 group purchase. We are inviting people from other boards to join in. Our first Limited Edition Group Purchase (LEGP) turned out so well members are begging to do it again. The details still need to be worked out, but that is why we need your help. Please feel free to chime in either here or there. Here is a link to the LEGP forum where you can read about the 1911 LEGP as it develops, or read about the sucess of the AR15 LEGP.

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=60

·
Registered
146 Posts
The idea is interesting, but the specs for the 1911 they've decided on don't seem up to the price asked.

A 5 1/2# - 6# trigger pull on a $950 1911? Not acceptable.

I don't care for the grips nor the rails, nor the front cocking serations, but that's just me.

I couldn't find who was doing the pistols, and if they were ornance spec or if they differed like Kimber, et al. It may be ok if the hammer, sear and disconnector are EDM or the like and not MIM. I can't stand MIM sear hammers on more than the basic pistols.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I could be in if we drop the crappy wrap around grips. They are not an option for a 1911.

Has anyone considered the chance of using Dawson's new rail on a Kimber Classic? We could get them for a better price.

Like the Kimber MIM parts or not they work. Have yet to have my Gold Combat have problems, it is two years old has over 10K through it. IF it is that big of heartburn, give the option of an upgrade to tool steel parts at extra cost.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
For $950 I could spec out a plain vanilla Rock river arms piece.

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Due to similar sentiments at AR15.com they have reconfigured the 1911 to try to get it within a 650-750$ price range.

·
Registered
605 Posts

Looks like its going to be a SA Loaded model like picture above but with parkerized finish. It will have the Novak night sight.
Expected price is about $650-700. Sounds like a decent deal.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Unfortunately, the SA is probably the best platform -- they chose well. Most SA loadeds have way too tall of a front sight causing them to shoot low, and the front strap is blockier than other 1911s, but at least it is all up to ordnance spec. First thing to do would be to replace the front sight and get a trigger job, or simply replace the trigger/hammer with a nice machined steel set and ditch the gritty MIM sear (at least in all my SAs the sear was subpar). Sort of wish they'd not have night sights on it.

------------------
-Hal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.