1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since these seem to be really hot right now, I thought we could start a thread showing off any mods, or just to enjoy them stock.

I'll start -

I bought 2, so I changed out the grips on 1 just to make them different. I will be duracoating them sometime, just not sure what colors I want to go with yet.

I had to remove just a little extra for the ambi safety to clear.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Both of my guns are wearing the grips they came with from the factories.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just drilled an extra hole in the center of the base pad to provide access to the push in release on the Gsg mag bottom. I then lined up, marked, and drilled the mount holes. The screws do not interfere with normal operation of the mag. However I found that when screwed all the way in it is just like if you pushed in the release so you need to shorten the screws or get some shorter ones (4-40x3/8th) as the Chip ones are 4-40x1/2. Either way it is not much trouble though and they have helped big time in seating the mag! I read where another guy used another type of base pad too if you prefer a different style.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I ordered mine and it should be here soon!!

Oldrice, I'm liking that Hogue grip. Anybody have an idea of what rail they use on the tactical version you can get?

:edit: Btw, steel609, did you get to duracoating yet? I'm planning on doing it when I get the gun but was curious if anyone has yet.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks fan45!

I picked up some screws while I was out, so I had already done the deed by the time I read your post.

I like the idea of drilling out the middle - I used Ed Brown pads, the front hole on those is right next to the existing hole so I don't know how well that would have worked anyway.

I used 1/2" #4 pan head sheet metal screws - the same length as the supplied machine screws - and they worked perfectly. Didn't bother with pilot holes - just leaned on the screwdriver and drove them in. At any rate, they didn't mess with the retention of the existing baseplate so they should be good to go. Also threw on a cheap plastic magwell just for giggles.

Looking forward to shooting it tomorrow.

Joe

Joe

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I ordered mine and it should be here soon!!

Oldrice, I'm liking that Hogue grip. Anybody have an idea of what rail they use on the tactical version you can get?

:edit: Btw, steel609, did you get to duracoating yet? I'm planning on doing it when I get the gun but was curious if anyone has yet.
I haven't sprayed mine yet, maybe this weekend.

One thing I was wondering about is that the serial number is very shallow on these pistols, and even though Duracoat is thin, it would still cover them quite a bit. Would it break any laws?

·
Banned
27 Posts
I got mine yesterday. I have changed the grip screw bushings and switched the grips to Hogue palm swell panels ( I have them on all my shooters ). The finish on the slide is poor and I really hate all the letters on the slide. I am going to pump a few rounds through it for functionality them Duracoat the whole thing. I am going to switch the thumb safety and msh fisrt though. I am tempted to switch the sights also. Maybe some Trijicons.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When you changed out the Grip screw bushings did you have to tap anything or did they go right in? I noticed the grip screws are non standard and metric so I was concerned that where the bushings screw in would be metric as well. What brand did you use? Also i was wondering if anyone has swapped out the "pot" metal Ambi safety with a safety from like brownell's or something?

1 - 20 of 430 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.