1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has had a Sig GSR 1911 stainless with night sights for about 4 years. He had no more than 1000 rounds through it when we attended the 4 day pistol class at Front Sight about a year ago. The gun never had a problem untill the second day of the class. It started failing to feed and stove piping one every magazine. The gun went back to Sig and they replaced the extractor.
After it came back he only put about 20 or so rounds through it due to the ammo shortage. We went shooting yesterday, I chambered the gun and the hammer now falls to half cock every time. Pull back the hammer and it fires fine untill a new magazine is inserted and it falls to half cock again. The hammer stays back if a round is not chambered. It only half cocks when a fresh mag is inserted and the slide is dropped. With the mag full or with one it still falls to half cock. It extracts and feeds fine now so they fixed problem one.
The gun is out of warranty and I was wondering if their is anything I can check to fix it myself or does it need to go back to Sig? Thanks all, Sammy

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have a GSR with almost 8,000 rounds through it and almost every malfunction was operator error. Give SIG a chance, they'll take care of your brother, especially if he deals with Victoria. When he sends the gun back, tell him to enclose a detailed description of the issue like you did in your post. BTW when he calls, tell him to politely ask if they could email him a shipping label so he can send the gun back. Then just print it off, tape it to the box and send it off. It wouldn't surprise me if he had it back within a week or so. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I would check the hammer hooks to see if they're OK. If hooks are OK you can bend the leg of the leaf spring to put more pressure on the disconnect.

I wouldn't use the gun with this problem, it can go full auto. Send it back to Sig if it's beyond your scope to be safe...

Post the problem in the gunsmithing section for more help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts