1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum, but not new to searching forums.

Looking here, at Sigforum, and Sigtalk has proved confusing, so I'll get right to the point.

Would this Sigarms GSR Revolution Compact SN: GS1000X be a problematic pistol?

The pistol in question has a checkered front strap, skeleton hammer, black/gray wood grips, night sights. New, but not in original box.

Thanks,

lp

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have one in the 11,000 SN range and I have put 11.5K rounds through it since I bought it new in '07 or '08 (can't remember exactly). The only issue I had was the barrel lug area was making contact with the rear of the barrel bushing during recoil. Eventually (at exactly 700 rounds during my CCW qualification) the bushing broke, the guide plug launched downrange, and the gun locked up tight. Sent it back to Sig on a Monday morning, and got it back that Friday afternoon with a new barrel and bushing. No issues since. Very accurate. I'm able to put 7 rounds into a ragged hole at 10 yds. Before you buy it (if you haven't already) ask if you can pull the barrel bushing off. Look for peening or galling. Mine showed peening at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions.
Oops-As I re-read your post you said it's new. Do you know that for sure? If so then you won't see any peening and potentially it could show up later. I don't know how wide spread this issue was. Sig's warranty is non-transferrable and I don't know how willing they would be to replacing faulty parts on their dime. It's a tough call. If you can get a good enough deal, I might go for it. What is the asking price?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'd jump on that.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I bought a GSR 1911 when they first came out. I sent it back four times due to fail to feed issues. They eventually replaced the pistol with a brand new one. One of the partners I work with occasionally had the same problems and traded his off. That they replaced my gun was very nice of the fine folks at Sig. But no one ever said what was wrong with it!
In a Sig 1911 armorer class much later I asked the instructor why I had the issues. He said the early pistols had some design problems and if you got a problem gun there was nothing they could do to fix it and just started replacing them. He said he would never buy a Sig 1911 that had GSR on the slide. He is a long time law enforcement officer and works as a contract employee doing training for Sig.
I would not buy any Sig with GSR on the slide no matter how good the cost. Just me. If you bought it hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That is fantastic info. The same guy has a Colt Commander for $800.00 I am also considering.
Was yours a compact model? I wonder if it makes a difference?

EDIT: Looking further into this, I see that $800.00 is not a very good price.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here. I just bought this GSR finally, and have yet to shoot it. It ended up @ $650.00 with 2 factory magazines. I am willing to take the chance.

I have learned that if firing it steady...say one shot per second, no problems. Two shots however in quick succession results in stovepipe of second casing.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

LP

·
Registered
82 Posts
I definitely have the battered condition on the barrel bushing and some dimples/hight metal on the recoil spring guide rod face.

I emailed Victoria Martin and Mark Hanson, and both email bounced back.

Does anyone have the email address of a Sig contact that I could reach out to?

Thanks very much,

LP

·
Registered
82 Posts
So after I changed to address to "sigsauer.com" the email for Victoria Martin worked. The address for Mark Hanson bounced back.

BTW, I am lftr pllr. Got confused and created another screen name/account for only 5 posts.

Duh.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread here. I just bought this GSR finally, and have yet to shoot it. It ended up @ $650.00 with 2 factory magazines. I am willing to take the chance.

I have learned that if firing it steady...say one shot per second, no problems. Two shots however in quick succession results in stovepipe of second casing.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

LP
First welcome back. I would post your issue, with possibly some additional details in the gunsmith section. At that price I think you did well. If it needs work I would recommend Evolution Armory, who have at least one former Sig gunsmith and are active supporters of this forum. Hopefully it's something you can correct at home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts