1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guardian went straight to the range from the store. I usually break down and check lube etc, but we are in COVID time. I was shooting 115 gr Freedom Munitions Reman loads which have worked fine in my Shield and other 9s but the felt recoil is less than a regular hp carry load. The first 4 (2 with each mag) mags stovepiped between rounds 5&7. I then loaded up with Federal premium law enforcement 124 hp. 3 mags ...no issue. Went back to the freedom munitions loads and ran off another 50 with no more issues. I am thinking lack of lube and underpowered ammo causes the initial stove pipe? I checked the extractor and it will hold both empty case and live round fairly well. The live round will come out if bumped solidly but that is normal. The gun had a tight fit but nothing compared to my Les Baer than required 500 round before you should even take it apart.

Any observations or recommendations. I called Dan Wesson cs. And he didn’t not have any recommendations other than try a couple different mags and run more rounds through it. I now have 2 10rd Tripp and 2 9 round Mec-Gar to try but due to COVID the ranges are either packed or closed so I have not had a chance to see what happens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I field stripped my 9mm Vigil Commander and gave it a cursory cleaning and lube before I shot it for the first time. No problems with 50 rounds of 115 grain Fiocchi 9AP and 50 rounds of 124 grain American Eagle. I used the DW mags and (2) Tripp mags. I did field strip, wipe it down, and relube after the first 50. It ran like a champ.

I think you're right about the lack of lube right out of the box.

·
Registered
869 Posts
From the DW users manual that comes with all 1911s:

BEFORE FACTORY SERVICE
Break-in

1. Your Dan Wesson Handgun is built to tight tolerances. Lubrication and cleaning is key in the break-in process.

2. Only use generous amounts of the recommend lubricants on the rails of your Dan Wesson.

3. We recommend that you felid strip, clean and re-oil every 50 rounds during break in.

4. We recommend a break-in period of 300-500 rounds before the gun is competition/combat ready.

5. Only use quality factory ball ammunition for the break-in process.

6. Generally what you will see during this breakin process is failure to go into battery and or sluggish slide operation. This is normal for tightly fitted 1911’s and will begin to work itself out during the break-in process.

7. If for some reason the handgun continues to have issues after this break-in process please contact Dan Wesson.

8. Once your Dan Wesson pistol is properly broken in only then is it recommended to use hollow points.

9. We do not recommend the use of +P ammunition to speed up the break-in process. This will usually cause more problems. Note: If any handgun components show signs of damage or unusual or excessive wear, stop using the firearm immediately and contact your gunsmith or DAN WESSON FIREARMS for assistance.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
What does 500 rounds of quality ammo cost right now?

If nothing else, this will make you take the next one home first and clean/lube it...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds to me like you shot some low powered reloads and the pistol didn't like them due to it being new and tight. Everything else ran fine and then ran fine with the reloads. Other than reading the manual and cleaning/lubricating the gun, there isn't much else to say. I bought some questionable reloads recently and I was shocked because they choked out my two Glocks. The factory striker and spring didn't have enough force to active the primers. My DW Guardian ate them up and spit out brass without issue. Just keep running the pistol as you can with live ammo. Otherwise lube the rails and work the action without slamming the slide home on an empty chamber while you watch TV. Next best thing for a break in process I suppose.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all . F2racefan, in my covid haste to see shoot before I went home to read the manual it seems like I did pretty much everything wrong 😁.
I was using the Les Baer break method. They tell you not to even try to disassemble for cleaning until after 500 rounds. I ran almost 800 rounds through before my failure. Put a couple drops of oil on the slide and ran it out to 1000. I probably had 3000 rounds through it and took it to a local GS to look at holsters. I let the salesperson remove it from my bag to safety check it before trying the holsters. She was not a small or weak looking woman but she could not rack back the slide with the mag in. Now at about 5k it is still tighter than the DW. I really think it had to do with the Freedom loads and the recoil spring. We'll see how it goes the next time. I will bring all 6 mags and a few hundred rounds. I have to say the Tripp mags are pretty nice on initial inspection.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
115 is to light, stick with 124's

Reactions: Sconie

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have two DWs and only shoot my own reloads thru all my pistols. I haven't bought commercial ammo in nearly a decade. In the beginning, my first DW, a Valkyrie, experienced a few failures to chamber. After measuring the cases on my reloads, I found that some were not sized all the way down to the base. So I made sure my sizing die was touching the shell plate on my press and my problem all but went away. Sounds like the reloads you were shooting may have a similar issue. I've got a few different brands of 1911/2011's. And my two DWs have the tightest chambers of them all. I'm not the first one on this forum to have discovered this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had DW Pointman 1911s and agree that they need to be broken-in prior to functioning reliably. LOTS of lube will be of help. One other suggestion: Without any ammo or a magazine in the gun, work the slide back and forth several hundred times-----many DW "break in" issues stem from the tight fit of the slide to the frame and working a well lubed action back and forth will help immensely with the "break in" process.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I did basically the same thing with my Guardian and went straight to the range and experienced several malfunctions. I came here; made the same post as you and got the same advice. After I followed the break in procedures per the manual, the gun functions very well now. I'm just over 1,000 rounds in.

The only remaining issue I have is the occasional failure of the slide to go fully into battery after a slide-lock reload when dropping the slide stop. If I slingshot the slide, it goes into battery everytime. Most likely a magazine issue.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I did basically the same thing with my Guardian and went straight to the range and experienced several malfunctions. I came here; made the same post as you and got the same advice. After I followed the break in procedures per the manual, the gun functions very well now. I'm just over 1,000 rounds in.

The only remaining issue I have is the occasional failure of the slide to go fully into battery after a slide-lock reload when dropping the slide stop. If I slingshot the slide, it goes into battery everytime. Most likely a magazine issue.
I'd doubt it's a mag issue. When you sling shot the slide, the odds are you're actually pulling it back slightly from the slide lock position, which means the slide has a bit more spring tension when it starts forward, and has more momentum in the slide. You might check how tightly your cartridges fit the chamber. A tight chamber requires that it be kept clean. I've also given a couple of tight chambers a slight polish with some polishing compound just to reduce the potential friction experienced by the round as it goes up into the chamber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts