1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Repost - I am thinking of marketing a new oil and call it Guardian LP (not sure on the name yet). I have a jug on the way so I can pass out around ten samples if you are willing to let me know via post or PM how it worked for you. I mailed out some samples out over at AK47.net and they are coming back very positive so I figured 1911 owners should try some.

Here is a rough web page with additional info: LubriKit.com - Lubricate and protect your guns.

I was talking with the aerospace lube manufacturers that make my EX greases a couple of weeks ago and the rep mentioned an oil that is a major improvement in protecting against corrosion. He told me if you were to spritz it on a handful full of metal shavings, put them in a plastic bag and bury it for three years, the shavings would be as good as the day you put them in the bag. I said send me some, so he did and I have been testing it on different rifles and other steel things in the garage. I put it on the garage door chain and that quieted it down big time. Anyway, I am thinking about marketing it as a gun lube but am still testing it. He sent me some technical data and a chart on a test they did. It was a third party testing company and compared the oil with others including wd-40 in a salt spray cabinet.
The test is ASTM B-117. Most of the others came out around 100 hours with WD-40 at 120 hrs and one made it to 233 hours. Their oil made it to 840 hours.
I compared it to known gun oils and it blows them away in this test, so I made my own chart with the numbers I could find from other manufacturers.
I asked them to give me some numbers on its lubricity as well so they are running a four ball scar test. The oil has Extreme Pressure and Anti Wear additives in it and he said it is a great lubricant as well. If the lubricant scar numbers are better than mil spec I am going to market it. In combination with my EX-2 greases it will be unbeatable.

Here is the chart I made comparing this new lube to the ASTM B-117 Salt Spray Test numbers from other well known gun lubes:

Sample List:
1. Auto Mag - Mailing info received
2. u2robert
3. Tdub
4. SkippySanches
5. sdodson1 - Mailing info received
6. Allsmiles
7. azlou66
8. Oldman1151 - Mailing info received
9. Snakeshooter17
10. M1A1 Tanker

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
How does it compare to CLP?

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Armadillo12, I tried to get a sample of Frog Lube with no luck. Go figure....

I would be happy to try a sample of your product.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What will your pistol test parameters be? Will you have a round count to be fired? Prior cleaning instructions to remove remnants of other oils? Just curious how it will be conducted. I'd be up to testing, good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Howdy Auto Mag, I will glad to get a sample kit out to you. I am including my EX-2B grease with Hexagonal Boron Nitride powder (hBN) along with the Guardian LP since they are meant to work in combination.
Regarding CLP's corrosion performance I believe both Frog lube(no published numbers) and Break Free CLP come in right at mil spec which is 150 hours in the salt fog chamber whereas Guardian lasted more than 5 times as long at 840 hours. That is what got me excited about this product.
Also, the ASTM 4ball scar test for the Guardian LP came in better than mil spec so it is a good lubricant as well as a protectant. It has Anitwear and Extreme Pressure additives to prevent wear associated with the high pressures produced in firearms.

I am leaving live fire testing up to you guys to do as you see fit and then let me know.

So far I have Auto Mag, U2robert, Tdub, sdodson1 and SkippySanchez.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Count me in also. Currently I'm using Slipstream (regular and Styx) so I have something to compare it to. Really like the Slipstream; but it is pricey.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I am interested, how does it work on pistols with higher slide velocities such as Delta Elites?

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
I am interested, how does it work on pistols with higher slide velocities such as Delta Elites?
I also have a Colt Delta Elite that I will try it on!!!

PM sent a while ago with mailing info.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I'll give 'er a rip!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK the spots are filled...didn't take long. Remember to PM me your shipping info so I can get the sample out asap. If it goes well I will send out some more.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
Good luck on your venture. Regardless of the quality of your product, of course, marketing and distribution will be your biggest challenges.

If you're going to be selling a quart of your miracle lube/corrosion preventative for less than the price of a quart of Mobil 1, then I might be a lifetime customer. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be willing to give it a try. I live in northwestern PA and could give it some cold weather testing. I have a glock, 1911, several bolt rifles, AK-47, LWRC AR-15. I am also a cop and tend to be somewhat hard on weapons, I expect them to work at the worst possible time so I put them through the ringer. I have been using Slip 2000 EWL and EWL grease for a couple of years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK fellas, I finally got the samples out in the mail so they should be arriving shortly. I am missing mailing info for azlou66 and M1A1 Tanker so if you get me your info I will send you some. I also sent a sample out to the sandbox for you berdar.

Let me know how it works for you guys.

Thanks

P.S. Will send out more after we get responses.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Will keep an eye out for it!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.