1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the few Colt pistols at the gunshow in Monroeville Pa. yesterday when the unexpected happened. A guy walked by me while I was looking and I thought to myself that this guy was the spitting image of Ken Hackathorn. I did a double take and my Dad about ran over me. He said, "What's wrong?" I said, "I think that was Ken Hackathorn that just passed me." My Dad said, "Well maybe it was." By this time he was in the next aisle. I couldn't stand not knowing for sure so I approached the guy and asked him if he gets mistaken for someone else once in a while? He looked at me with a slight grin and said, "No, no I don't. I said, "Your first name isn't Ken is it?" He said, with the same slight grin, "Yes it is." I couldn't believe that I ran into Mr. Hackathorn. I introduced my Dad to him and we talked about .45's for a few minutes. I met him before at one of the Pa. state IDPA matches back in 1997 or 1998. He is very nice to talk to and I appreciated his comments on the 1911 pistol. Just to keep this Colt related I did see a used Colt Combat Target in the case for $650.00. Most of the Colts I saw were old rollmark 1991's. I did see a new stainless Commander with the new rollmarks though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ended up hitting the show today, but didn't get to meet any 1911 celebrities :D I did however see 2 NRM Govs and a couple of commanders, the first I've seen actually "in stock" anywhere, so I guess that's a good sign... I ended up picking up a S&W 1006, I've had the 10mm bug for a long time now and for $425 I couldn't pass it up.

Dan

·
Registered
333 Posts
Wow. I was at the show today and had to talk myself out of buying a springfield loaded or mil-spec. I bought a AK-47 russian scope as a reward for myself for being "good" and not buying more handguns ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shooter Ready? said:
I remember seeing a fair amount of S&W 10mm's. I hope you enjoy it.
Price was right, so I picked it up, It is truely a beast of a gun now that I sit and look at it. It really makes me appreciate the ergonomics of a 1911, given that they are actually similar sized weapons, the 1911 FEELS like a much smaller, more manuverable pistol, while the 1006 is like a brick with sights. To be fair, it's got a nice slim grip, and doesn't feel all that different than a P220 sig in the hand, it's just massive. But I figure with all that steel, it should eat just about any hot load I give it. Still, think a stainless Delta is in order as next purchase.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,053 Posts
Was Ken wearing cleats?

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Hack is one of the few "great" instructors out there who along with Farnam, Cooper, Taylor is really a gun buff too-not just a world class trainer (the best in my book) but really knows firearms of all types, and not just the current flavor of the month.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RickB, no he wasn't wearing cleats. IIRC he had a casual type of shoe or boot. I don't really remember exactly what he was wearing but I would have noticed cleats with a pair of khaki pants. I am curious as to why you ask?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,053 Posts
The IDPA rule book says only clothing and gear "suitable or all-day wear" is appropriate, but he said in a column in the IDPA Tactical Journal that cleats are fine for IDPA competition. We didn't allow them at our state championship match, and I wondered if he was wearing them every day to prove that they are suitable? Not suitable for gunshows, anyway!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
It's fun to "run into" semi famous people!

Last summer a friend and I skipped work to check out the new Cabelas in Kansas City, and stopped a Burger King to eat before we went in. As we were eating a "familiar" looking guy came in with another man and woman. I couls not place him until they sat at the table next to ours and began to talk guns...

Turned out it was Bob Munden from the American Shooter and his wife. Not knowing what to say I just asked him if he was Bob Munden, that if he wasn't, not to take offense, and that if he was I was a fan of his...He grinned, shook my hand, and we had a nice chat. He is a good personable man and his wife is a charm.

I swore to my friend that I wasn't going to wash my hand until after I shot the next time to see if any of his magic had worn off...it didn't.

They were in town for an exibition shoot and for the store opening.

It's good to know the people we look up to in our sport are regular folks just like us.

Byrd

·
Premium Member
20,290 Posts
It's really fun to hit some of the hosted parties at the SHOT show and watch some of the "Shooting Gods" get plastered!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts