1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with the salesman at the wholesaler where I buy my guns about Colt's current situation and we started talking about the rebirth of the Python and the Anaconda. Guess who is building them for Colt? Smith & Wesson. This has been confirmed with both S & W And Colt. I thought the other forum members might find this info interesting.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Huh? Where did that come from? More info!!

If it is true (not doubting your word or source of info) I think it's hilarious!!

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I talked to Colt a few months ago concerning another matter and asked about the Python and Anaconda. They said at the time they were being built by the Colt Custom Shop.

Having toured both S&W and Colt, I'm not sure how what you're saying is possible. I chatted for a while with the person building Pythons (fitting) and was able to watch them making some parts- all with old (but well loved) machines that seemed pretty huge. I can't imagine them being moved.

As for Smith, they build their autos on CNC, their revolvers the old way (like Colt). The factory is pretty split- one section CNC for autos, one old style machines for revolvers. Unless they set up the CNC machines for Colt's revolvers...but this doesn't seem possible due to union issues (at Colt).

Are you sure?

------------------
NRA, USPSA, IDPA and MCRGO member
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~bchamber/10mm.html

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have seen Smith revovlers with Springfield Armory emblems on them. The Colt thing is a bitprofound, but I guess anything is possible these days.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Those Smith revolvers had the emblem from the old Springfield Armory, as in government arsonal. They didn't have anything to do with the company in Ill. They looked like it, and it is an easy mistake to make- that was on the first run of 625 .45 ACP N-frames.

Thought I'd pass that on.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not kidding. I am just passing on some info that was told to me by the salesman at the wholesaler where I buy most of my guns. I have known this particular salesman for about two years. He has no reason to lie to me. He does almost all of the handgun ordering for the business. He was on the phone getting some info from Colt for a customer about a Python and one way or another the subject of who actually is producing the pistol came up. The salesman doubted what Colt told him so he called Smith & Wesson and asked them. He was informed that S & W is indeed producing the Python & the Anaconda for Colt. He also talks with all of the reps in the business so he can confirm things like this. I thought my fellow members would find this interesting that's why I posted it. I am not trying to start a rumor or spread a lie. I am just passing on what I was told by someone in the firearms business who I know and trust. Hopefully a gun magazine will run a story on the "new" Python & Anaconda and confirm in print what I have been told. I'll post any new info that I can come up with. Thanks for all of the replies.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
It's my understanding that S&W made either frames or slides for Kimber as well, and no, not gossip, I've got a picture in one of my gun mags that shows pallets of them at the S&W factory ready for shipping. I'll dig the article out and post a pic.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Well, I never say never - but - it sure sounds like a story! I will attempt to get to the bottom of this. Making Kimber "just a commodity" parts is one thing - but Smith making Colt revolvers??

At the SHOT Show Colt reps advised that the Colt Custom Shop would be building both the Python and the Anaconda. I can see how it would be possible for S&W to contract manufacture of a "modern design" revolver like the Anaconda, but I find it highly unlikely that they would be interested in training their own workmen to build a relatively small number of the complex and labor intensive Pythons.

Get ahold of Jerry Kuhnhausen's Colt Revolver Book, Volume I and have a look for yourself. The brilliant but complex Victorian overengineering of the Python's V-mainspring lockwork - some parts have three working angled surfaces and the mainspring even does two functions - requires experienced, skilled and trained workmen and careful, knowledgeable hand fiting to produce.

This will be interesting ....

With curiosity, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
548 Posts
It would certainly be possible for Smith to make some or all of the parts on CNC equipment and then send them to Colt for assembly. Not that much different from the way cars are made now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you think that the name that is slapped on a gun is indicative of the actual maufacturer, you are woefully unfamiliar with the U.S. firearms industry. It is not only a common and accepted practice but has always been historically so.To point out the plethora of examples is a complete waste of bandwith. Be happy that the prodcts are back and don't sweat the rest. The image of metal and wood or polymer going into one end of the factory and a finished gun coming out the other is a complete fairy tale. I don't understand the importance (other than collector value) of these facts. Buy the gun, shoot the gun and be happy.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I think Colt prides itself on never being made by anyone else. I think we must band together, to see what is happening with these revolvers.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by sousana:
It's my understanding that S&W made either frames or slides for Kimber as well, and no, not gossip, I've got a picture in one of my gun mags that shows pallets of them at the S&W factory ready for shipping. I'll dig the article out and post a pic.
S&W's foundry makes the billets from which Kimber cuts their frames & slides, yes. Kimber does the machining though.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Col Colt, I think I would trust you on this matter more than most on this forum. Please post if you hear more. I find it hard to believe, but then again..........?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts