1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for pricing guidance....

I'll post a couple WTB's for this, but I'd appreciate any guidance I could get in advance.....

I am looking for two hard to find items to correct a 1912 pistol.

1. Colt Barrel - Horizontal "H" with serifs marked on barrel hood which was used on pistols in the 400 to 7500 serial number range

Link to a pistol with the correct barrel: http://www.coltautos.com/1911usmc_3780.htm

2. Colt Magazine - Type I two-tonewith edge of base exposed and a lanyard loop... 2nd or 3rd issue. These were issued through serial number 4500

Link to pictures of correct magazine: http://www.coltautos.com/1911ciT1Mag.htm

Any price guidance and referrals to sellers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Price guidance: I recently got lucky on a Type 1 mag at a local gun show. Two weeks later I saw one go on ebay for $688. I'll keep an eye open for you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Price guidance: I recently got lucky on a Type 1 mag at a local gun show. Two weeks later I saw one go on ebay for $688. I'll keep an eye open for you.
Thanks Melter-

I appreciate that!

I think my chances of getting lucky at a gunshow here in CT or NY are slim since we have so few shows in the region per year. My best bets are probably the forums or eBay, but I know I'm going to have to pay up.

Is your Type I a version 2 or 3?

Ray

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray, there's some good stuff on vintage1911s.com, too.

Thanks Billy-

I've been trolling the site for a while. As good as it could be, it still doesn't have much traction yet. I hope that changes. I love the concept.

I'm going to register today and post my a couple WTB's.

Ray

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Thanks Melter-

I appreciate that!

I think my chances of getting lucky at a gunshow here in CT or NY are slim since we have so few shows in the region per year. My best bets are probably the forums or eBay, but I know I'm going to have to pay up.

Is your Type I a version 2 or 3?

Ray
It's a Type 1C, heat treated to below the mag catch slot.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Your best chance of finding the early H barrel is finding it hiding in a junk gun. Look at every rusty mixmaster and low condition gun you see. As far as buying one, not too many collectors will let something like that go for any price. It's something they may trade for an equally rare item but just wont sell. I've got a first year commercial barrel sitting in the parts bin that that isn't for sale. I don't need it but its not something I can put a price on. Even if I had a crazy offer of 2k, I wouldn't sell it. I would trade it but not sell it.
Hence the reason the earlier guns drop a ton of value if they are not complete.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys... Once I find the parts I'll post the gun.

Ray

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Good luck on the H barrel.

The only reason I bought one of my 1918 WW1 parked Colts was because it had an early H stamped barrel in nice shape and the pistol cost less then A H stamped barrel in good shape would cost if bought by itself.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here's a picture, in case anyone is wondering what the H with serifs looks like.

A while ago, someone was looking for one of these barrels. They advertised for a long time, offering a complete Remington Rand in trade for the barrel. Not sure if they ever found one.

Another part that isn't easy to find is one of the 1912 keyhole mags - the only one I have has a small crack. A better one would be nice to have.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Type 1 mags come up from time to time on EBay and Gunbroker but the early barrels are just about impossible to find on the loose. I looked for one for years for my 9,8xx 1911 with a later replacement barrel and never found one. I paid through the nose for a type 1 because it was the nicest one I had ever seen but my pistol's condition is actually closer to that seen on Melter's type 1C.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts