1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very familiar with the full size model's barrel bushing removal of the guide rod, spring and barrel. But, what's the secret to removing the guide rod, spring and barrel on the Compact? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha, thanks, I saw the pin hole, but didn't know you had to push the guide rod all the way through to the front of the slide. That'll work. Thanks

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
If you want to spend seven-bucks on yourself, Brownells sells a "Reverse Plug Retention Clip" (RPRC) that is a fancy, pre-fabricated version of a paperclip. If you have a few minutes, some small pliers, and an inch-an-a-half paperclip and study the illustration in their catalog you can make one yourself to keep with your take-down tools. Actually, make two while you're at it; because some buddy will see it and want one and you are a really nice guy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That video shows the hard way to do it--Just lock the slide back, put the paper clip in the hole release the slide, remove the slide stop and move the slide forward .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That video shows the hard way to do it--Just lock the slide back, put the paper clip in the hole release the slide, remove the slide stop and move the slide forward .
Fine, how do you get the paper clip in the hole with the barrel and frame in the way. There's not enough room to get the bent paper clip in there from either top or bottom.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Fine, how do you get the paper clip in the hole with the barrel and frame in the way. There's not enough room to get the bent paper clip in there from either top or bottom.
Yes, there is enough room.
You need to make the bent part short enough to clear, but long enough to hold the slide.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mine is even simplier than that. A simple "L" shape seems to work just fine. Dang, now I'm gonna have to bend up a nice, fancy one.....

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I put the loops on mine because the simple "L"-shaped ones kept falling out as I tried to release the slide stop. But anything beats spending seven-bucks on one...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know on my midsize RIA, the hole does not present itself until the slide is pulled further back than where the slide lock would hold it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts