1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a SA parkerized Gov. Loaded three months ago and the going consensus was to lose the guide rod and put in the GI setup. I did this and really liked it.

I just bought a lightweight compact. It has a bushingless barrel and a one piece guiderod (I believe this is what this setup is called). Is it worth changing to a GI setup? What would be involved? New barrel, bushing, spring, GI parts? It looks like my slide is already machined for it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
You would have to change all those things, which is a considerable expense.

In the shorter barrel 1911s, you see a lot of bushingless desings because it can be tricky to get the bushing to fit correctly, and still allow the barrel to cam up and down when cycling. Instead they go with the reverse tapered or bull barrrel, and the necessary 'reverse' spring retainer (held captive by the insde of the slide). Many consider this to be a design improvement in the smaller models.

IMO, it is clearly NOT worth it to change out a perfectly good barrel just to get a GI spring set up. You can replace just the spring guide to the standard length withouth changing anything else. Do that if you want.

Hope it helps!

Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts