1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I have read most of the threads about FLGR both for them and against them. I have decided buy a standard GI setup to have on hand should my two piece FLGR go south on me. I just got but have not shot yet a new SA Loaded PX9109L. My question is this. Who should I buy from and EXACTLY what parts should I buy? I mean a complete list of parts you would get if you were replacing them yourself. I know I need a new plug but what else. Should I get a new spring (16lb)? Or should I keep the OEM? I went to the Wilson site but dont see any standard GI recoil parts. All they list are various two piece and one piece FLGR. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Ed Brown sells GI style guide rods and plugs as does Colt. I don't know what finish your SA is, and also SA doesn't list GI plugs on their website, but I don't see why you couldn't call SA and get a GI rod and plug from them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the Spring plug and spring guide in my Brownells catalog last night. I guess thats what I will order. I did see a tungsten one piece guide rode for $74 bucks listed in the same catalog and thought that might be an interesting accessory. The added weight seems like a good idea. Thanks for the info guys its off to brownells to place a little order.

·
Registered
659 Posts
A second vote for the EB parts. I had my 5" 1911 built with a Harrts guide rod, and I swapped it out for the standard recoil system using the Brown parts. They were much better quality and finish than the parts that came in any of my Colt or Springfield 1911's.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'll be swapping out the 2-piece for the Ed Brown parts soon. The guide rod has come loose a few times at the range. It never made the gun malfunction, but I don't like the idea of it shooting downrange at a critical moment.

It's a matter of confidence in equipmant and personal preference. I'm not rying to start a flame war. To each his own.

·
Banned
597 Posts
I got my used GI parts at a gunshow, $10 for the plug & rod.
Your same spring will (should?) work with the standard plug & rod.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is a question I've had for a while! I got confused when I went to the websites and tried to pick out parts. Since there's a gunshow in Tampa this weekend, I think I'll hit them up before I use EB. Although the rates they charge for parking and admission I could probably pay to have the parts overnighted :rolleyes:

Travis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts