1911Forum banner

Guide Rod head

1214 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jimbo
Why is the head on some guide rods ground off at an angle and some are not?
Any advantage/disadvantage?
Can either be used in the same gun without modification?
Are the barrel lugs the same in either case?
By head, I mean the end that goes against the barrel lugs.
Thanks in advance. Dave.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
461 Posts
I asked the same question about the beveling on the back of the guide rod and am still interested in an answer by a smith or someone familiar with the 1911...

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=121766

On my posting, I didn't get a resounding answer on whether or not the beveling was necessary on the backend of the guide rod. Only that some had it and some don't.

What's the right answer here...The last thing I want to do is to watch my barrel lugs get pounded into oblivion.

Thanks...

· Registered
37 Posts
Still no definite answer but I have also been told that the beveling is mostly needed for those with match barrels. I have also experienced slight battering due to a non beveled guide rod so it might be case to case situation if it needs to be beveled or not.

· Registered
461 Posts
Fortunately, I haven't fired my pistol with the standard GI guide rod setup.

At this point, I have re-installed the FLGR setup (with the beveled back end).

Looks like I'll need to have someone machine the bevel on the back end of my GI guide rod before I even consider using it in my pistol. Not sure who can do this for me...so much for being "drop-in".

I'm not about to watch my hardfit Bar-sto get trashed by what I believed to be a drop-in part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.