1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the benefits of having a full length guide rod instead of a standard GI short guide rod and if so is there a specific type that works best? My goal is to build a tactical side arm with more modern parts replacing original GI parts from the second world war. I bought a Wilson Guide rod and spring kit for a officers model witch I thought was the same length or size as a government model? The spring I bought though was about an inch and one half shorter than the current spring and more progressive and stiffer (if that describes it). I couldn't use the full length guide rod because the reciever needs to be milled to hold the bushing for the guide rod. I am starting to think I just bought one of my first lessons, and to go ahead and start the first of my spare part box. Anybody have any advise?

·
Premium Member
20,404 Posts
I've tried all the whizz-bang updates over the years. The ONE thing I go back to is the short guide rod and plug. The full-length rods are a pain to disassemble, especially in a hurry. I've found NO benefit from them in Wilsons, Browns, and Kimbers. I've traded all them out for the shorty setup.

·
Registered
226 Posts
crenshaw, I mull that over and over in my head too. There is no advantage or disadvantage as far as shooting from what I see. GI style comes apart easier but to me no big deal I carry an allen wrench on my key chain and one in my range bag. For me the issue is a non issue.
I never tried one but I see some high end pistol companies advertise a heavier type metal full length guide rod they claim cuts down on muzzle flip and makes finding the target for the next round quicker. If that`s the right terminology. I don`t have a clue if it`s true.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
There have been 40-11 threads on this subject. I don't want to be a "Search Nazi" but by using the search function you will get more opinions on the subject than you may want.

This dead horse is closed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.