1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to the serious world of the 1911. I own a few pistols, but have only recently started to focus more on the 1911 family. My intent, after several visits to the local gun shop, is to purchase a Kimber TLE in the new year. The question I'm having difficulty finding an answer to is what the difference between the various guide rods are? I've read about "standard" and "short" rods, but I don't know what the benfits/disadvantages are to the various versions. If someone can explain this to me or send me a link to a site that does, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
I have used both over many years. Either is fine. I don't see any advantage to a full length guide rod and prefer the short. I could be happy with either.

That doesn't answer your question as to which is best because it may be that neither is best. The full length is said to prevent kinks in the recoil spring and smooth the cycle. Well, Wheaties are said to be the "breakfast of champions."

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
There are lots and lots of discussions on full length guide rods (FLGR) on this site. Do a search on FLGR or guide or rod or things like that and you will find lots. Personally, I do not much like full length guide rods and usually switch them out for the short guide rods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts