1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
seang said:
Do the fullsize and the commander size S&W have the same type of guide rod? Aren't both full size guide rods? Thanks
both the full size and commander size have a full length guide rod, the commander rod is shorter though

· Premium Member
213 Posts
both the full size and commander size have a full length guide rod, the commander rod is shorter though
Plus the 4.5" style guide rod has a chamfered end face to allow clearance for the slide stop to engage. The full size doesn't. If you replace the commander style with a standard G.I. recoil guide rod, the slide won't lock back.

· Registered
2,178 Posts
brutay said:
Plus the 4.5" style guide rod has a chamfered end face to allow clearance for the slide stop to engage. The full size doesn't. If you replace the commander style with a standard G.I. recoil guide rod, the slide won't lock back.
Say what? I have a GI rod and plug in my 1911SC and the slide locks back just fine. What makes you think that a GI rod will prevent slide lock?

· Premium Member
213 Posts
What makes you think that a GI rod will prevent slide lock?
Tac, I stand corrected. Thanks for getting my attention. I had my head up my backside when ordering the parts from Ed Brown. I will say that the slide stop will not engage if you try and use the full size guide rod plug in the Commander size. Time to visit the classified section.

· Registered
2,178 Posts
Ah. I see now. They're both considered "GI" parts whether they're for the GM or the Commander, but you have to get the right parts for the right gun. I have the Ed Brown Commander blued guide rod and stainless plug in my 1911SC. They have worked well for me.

Good luck on getting your parts!

· Registered
2,178 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I don't have any pics of the individual parts in my computer and you can't see much by looking at the gun. I can't remember where I bought the Ed Brown parts, but you can shop around for them online. Come to think of it, I think I probably ended up getting them from Brownell's.

· Registered
2,178 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I don't have any pics of the individual parts in my computer and you can't see much by looking at the gun.;) I can't remember where I bought the Ed Brown parts, but you can shop around for them online. Come to think of it, I think I probably ended up getting them from Brownell's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.