1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guide rod on my TRP has continued to come loose every 30-50 rounds. I'm debating having Springfield replace it, but I'd feel naked without my TRP.

Is the guide rod an upgrade worth while for a TRP? What are some benefits to upgrading the guide rod? Any suggested buys?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
There are many one-piece guide rods available. These do not loosen with recoil because there are no threads. A bushing wrench is a virtual necessity after switching over to this style, however.

Check out Wilson's Shok-Buff system. You don't necessarily HAVE to use the buffers with it and it is a one-piece rod. Good stuff. $36.95 in the latest Brownells (pg 87).

Callahan

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Originally posted by ShootinSpirit:
The guide rod on my TRP has continued to come loose every 30-50 rounds. I'm debating having Springfield replace it, but I'd feel naked without my TRP.

Is the guide rod an upgrade worth while for a TRP? What are some benefits to upgrading the guide rod? Any suggested buys?
The guide rod on my Loaded seemed to come loose also. While I like FLGR, I don't like anything requiring screwdrives on a gun (too much of a chance to "slip" and screw things up). With that in mind, I replaced the grip screws with allen head screws and the FLGR with a Wilson 2 piece.

I don't know why, but the Wilson FLGR says together and doesn't unscrew. If you were considering sending the gun back to Springfield to have the rod replaced (which is probably going to cost your about $40 to overnight it), you could buy a Wilson (or equivilent rod) for about $30 and not be without your TRP.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The irony of it all... I just recieved some shock buffers and a magazine from wilson. Looks like I may go with the Kit. A heavier recoil spring would be nice for the +P loads anyhow.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you are going to use one, then go with a one piece. I have no complaints with my Wilson one piece FLGR.

------------------

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had the same problem with the guide rod in my loaded model. I called Springfield and they replaced my guide rod which had a flathead screwdriver slot to a guide rod with an allen head top. As a matter of fact, they sent me two of them in S/S at no charge. The problem with the guide rod unscrewing is gone. Give them a call, they will take care of you.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I took the lazy man's way out to simplify my TRP. Replaced the two peice guide rod and plug with an Ed Brown standard guide rod and plug. Disassembly much easier and has made absolutely no difference in functioning or accuracy.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I contacted Springfield and they offered to replace my guide rod. Before they got back with me though, I feild stripped my TRP and cleaned all the parts with a Flitz polishing wipe. The guide rod has held firm ever since, and my gun has a nice luster too.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
Just Locktite the two pieces together and shorten the OAL until the rod clears the bushing when you depress the plug. You could just get rid of the rod and replace it with a plug. The FLGR really serves no purpose other than adding weight to the muzzle end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello, I was concerned with my new loaded wiht the two piece rod. After 100 rounds it hasn't started to loosen yet! I know it is early!

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a new Loaded with the allen head rod. It doesn't get loose.

------------------
O.K., My Turn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts