1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
there are three types
the original colt 1911 style which is about 1.5 inches long and not really a guide rod. Thought by some to be the most reliable.

once piece guide rod which is full length and is flush with the muzzle. Take down is a pain in the butt and requires a paper clip or something to capture the spring.
If you haven't guessed I do not like one piece guide rods.

2 piece guide rods are the same length as a one piece unit but threaded together. the muzzle end uses a allen screw to disassemble.
the down side is that you need a tool to take the gun down. Some people say they should never be used in a carry gun. I always figured that doing firearms maintenance during a gun fight was not a good idea anyway. That is why God made J-frames.

mike

·
Registered
179 Posts
there are some folks around here that impress me with their knowledge and thoughtfulness... BUT... you tickled me with the idea of the no peace guide rod, not a bad idea mr browning had, but the thought about "That is why God made J-frames" was just too cute. I was eating lunch and almost spit a mouthful on the terminal... good use of words. I have the kimber pro carry and it's a pain to break down but I have an answer if it does need it where it shouldn't... a j frame answer that is !!! Thanks for the smile !!!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
mike benedict said:
once piece guide rod which is full length and is flush with the muzzle. Take down is a pain in the butt and requires a paper clip or something to capture the spring.
Actually Mike, you only need to capture the spring on compact models. Commander and Gov't length pistols using a FLGR disassemble without much more fuss than a standard 1911 - except you generally need to use a bushing wrench.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
and make sure your dog is out of the room. i once shot my dog in the butt with that spring loaded guide rod plug.:mummy:

anyway......i am now OK with and have learned the take down on each of the different types.....all in the learning 1911 learning curve.

go with what works for you.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
Oh my goodness, not another guide rod thread...

I think I'm going to have to create a post in Q&A for the newer members. It seems we have this same subject every three weeks.

·
Registered
906 Posts
mike benedict said:
2 piece guide rods are the same length as a one piece unit but threaded together. the muzzle end uses a allen screw to disassemble.

mike

I am trying to undrestand the advantage ( or reason ) for the two piece rod . I have dissambled Kimbers with the one piece.
If the 2 piece are the same length whay take them apart?

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Not the same length. They protrude out past the bushing. You cannot depress them and then turn the bushing.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
JohnC said:
Not the same length.
Yes, the two pc. are the same length as a one pc. The "advantage" is that you can unscrew half of the two pc. and the disassembly is then standard 1911.

The over-riding disadvantage is that they often unscrew themselves when you least want them to (even when Loctited).

·
Registered
906 Posts
shane45-1911 said:
Yes, the two pc. are the same length as a one pc. The "advantage" is that you can unscrew half of the two pc. and the disassembly is then standard 1911.

The over-riding disadvantage is that they often unscrew themselves when you least want them to (even when Loctited).
Okay now whats going on ? Anybody have both in hand to see?

·
Registered
330 Posts
For those with very strong opinions, here is an alternative. How about unscrewing the front piece off the 2 piece guide rod and using it as a ' GI short rod'?

I use both the GI type, the 2 piece and the one piece in my Colts, SA and a delta. The one piece is in the delta. Still have not settled on any particular type is best

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've got the Wilson FLGR on my Para and have never had a problem with disassembly or reassembly. I use the magazine base pad to push down the plug, swing the bushing to the side and then carefully lift the plug allowing the spring to expand. From there it's a no-brainer. I find no problems that others speak of, but the Wilson rod doesn't stick out so far that you cannot turn the bushing.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
shane45-1911 said:

Uh...I have a two-piece that is a bit longer than the one-piece guide rod.

JohnC said:
Not the same length. They protrude out past the bushing. You cannot depress them and then turn the bushing.
In my case John C is correct, I can't use the wrench to turn the bushing because the guide rod is too long...and I'm fairly sure I'm not crazy. Who's right? :scratch:

·
Registered
954 Posts
mike benedict said:
there are three types
the original colt 1911 style which is about 1.5 inches long and not really a guide rod. Thought by some to be the most reliable.

If you haven't guessed I do not like one piece guide rods.

the down side is that you need a tool to take the gun down. Some people say they should never be used in a carry gun.

mike
Actually there is a third type that is full length but just short enough you can push down the plunger and rotate the bushing as per the standard setup.. IMHO if you want one, this is the only kind to get.

I've a few guns that came with them, I don't feel they do anything useful but I won't go so far as to remove them for the standard plug and short rod setup. OTOH my Kimber TLE II came with the two piece rod which I promply replaced with the one piece described above.

If your gun didn't come with one, I'd say save your money.

--wally.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
wally_666 said:
Actually there is a third type that is full length but just short enough you can push down the plunger and rotate the bushing as per the standard setup..
Correct. I should have stated this in my first post.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Ah....I did not know that. I just thought one pieces were shorter than two-piece.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts