1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to know for sure about the one and two piece guide rods. i heard that the two piece guide rods come loose and fly off. if this is the case, how long does it take for this to happen-about how many rounds are we talking about. is the one piece better because this doesn't happen or does it really matter at all. i read all kinds of things about both so i'm not sure what to believe. reason i'm asking is that i just bought a sa full size loaded and it has a two piece guide rod. i haven't shot it yet and i don't want to have any surprises.

[This message has been edited by wildbill (edited 04-29-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
my brother and i have put about 1200 rounds throught his new 2001 s.a. full size. we haven't had any trouble with the two peice guide rod. and the thing i like about the way the springfield makes theirs is that you can unscrew the guide rod and then the piece left inside is a standard piece. you can spend 3 dollars on a traditional plug and do away with the full length if you want to.
(i don't like full length rods, just a money maker in my opinion)

but to answer your question, the s.a two piece should not come apart at all while shooting, after 1200 rounds, my brothers hasn't "sailed" yet!

russel the cop

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was just wondering. i don't want to go chasing the thing if it takes off to who knows where. i guess the proof would be in the shooting. your experience sounds good to me. i couldn't imagine that sa would make something that would do that. btw, i just had it apart for cleaning(i always clean my guns after purchase to remove any pieces of loose metal from manufaturing) and i'm impressed with the finish and fit-inside and out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine unscrews a turn or two in 100 rds. If it did come apart which is unlikely it wouldn't launch because there is not spring tension on it it's on the plug

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I've had them turn loose also, but never enough to separate. Guess I'm just lazy, I replace all of mine with the standard plug and guide. Plus, I don't like to have a tool with me all the time if I need to disassemble the weapon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a Springfield with the full length guide rod. It has come loose but never actually flown off.
I carry a short-handled screwdriver to unscrew it. Fits right in my Otis pocket cleaning kit.
Also, picked up a tip on this forum. Putting a little teflon tape on the screws may help keep it from unscrewing. I'm trying this now but haven't shot enough to know for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts