1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you LEO's working the disaster, please watch out for each other.

You will see some things that will be mind blowing. With long hours, exhaustion, the heat, and no end in sight, some may begin to have psychological problems. Watch out for your buddies. Make sure they are okay at the end of the work day. Take care of yourself, too.

God Bless You All!

·
Registered
311 Posts
On that note....the signs of stress are taking their toll. From what I have heard, two New Orleans officers have taken their own lives (one after getting word that his wife had died in the storm) and another 200 walked off the job after dealing with all the looting and other criminal activities related to the aftermath of the storm.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It's kind of frustrating for those of us that are trying to mobilize and help our brother and sister officers in New Orleans and the other areas effected. We have had a team ready to go for days but keep being told they don't need us. God bless all those effected and please know we're here for you!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
You guys want to hear something insensitive/plain stupid? This came from an official memo I received today:

Please distribute to all personnel:

On Sunday, September 4th the Austin Health Department distributed letters to all personnel/volunteers at the Convention Center indicating there is no need to be alarmed or concerned from exposure to hurricane Katrina evacuees. Copies of the letter are available at the Command Post.

My GOD, do they think these unfortunate people are from another planet?? :hrm: I have dealt with homeless people who have lived in worse conditions for a longer period without being overly alarmed or concerned!

·
Registered
902 Posts
That was a pretty good article. I think we're going to see a lot more stories like that coming out of this disaster for years to come. On a positive note, quite a few of our officers got tired of waiting around and have been taking vacation to travel to New Orleans and effected areas with various church groups. It says alot about a person and their urge to protect and serve! :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
I just got back from Gulfport Mississippi. I was among a group of almost 30 officers and Deputy Sheriffs. We came from 3 sheriff's offices and 1 police department. We assisted the Gulfport Police Department. We spent 11 days in Gulfport.

This was my 5th hurricane deployment. I didn't think any storm could match Hurricane Andrew for destructive power. I was wrong. I hope never to see anything like this again.

My hat goes off to the men and women of the Gulfport Police Department. They never quit. I had one officer apologize to me for his deparment being so unorganized.( He had lost his home in the storm.) I told him that no matter how prepared you are the first 3 or 4 days are just chaos. Everytime a Gulfport Officer would pull up. He was thanking us for being there. It was an honor and a privilege to work with these fine men and women.

I saw officers from all over America. State Police from Vermont, Missouri, Indiana,Nevada, and Florida. Deputies from Florida,Tennessee, Colorado, Texas, and Nevada. Police Officers from all over the country.

If any other 1911 forum members were there give me a holler.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dep2386,

Hey there!!! I too was in the Biloxi, Gulfport, Waveland, Pass Christian, Long Beach and Bay St. Loius areas during the time you were there (came home on the 14th of September) I might have backed you up one night (backed up a Marion Co. S.O. unit with an Ocala P.D. unit there also) on Lorraine Rd, just north of Pass.

I was amazed at the resiliency of the people there...everywhere I went I saw American flags salvaged from the rubble and flying high (need to be destroyed due to protocol (touched the ground) - but I love the sentiment!!!)

One of the best and funniest things I saw was an attractive, bikini clad Long Beach detective (female) who was sitting in a "******* hot tub" - a pickup truck with a tarp in the bed filled with water! She and her very attractive friend ( a nurse) were enjoying their first day off since the storm (this was the 13th of September) and having a beer...while trying to attract the power company crews to hook up her power (using their obvious charms!!!) Needless to say it worked! As I was there talking with them the power co. supervisor came by to notify her the truck would be by shortly and to just flag them down!!! Ingenious! :D :D

I need to send her the photos I took!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
It has been very frustrating over the last month waiting to go. I am now leaving on sat. the 8th. I was told on the 30th of Aug that I would be one of the ones from my dept. going, and to be prepared. One month later I have a plane ticket. I've been told that I will be on duty for 16hrs per day and will be living in a church. I hope that as part of the team, we can make a difference!

I'll bring my bikini :barf:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'll try to post...if someone can guide me on how to do it (low tech guy in a high tech world) and the moderators don't mind!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Back in Sacramento and still have flu symptoms. The air quality was so bad in the area that I was staying, we all got sick. We finally moved to a ship and got better food and sleep. The city was letting people back in and the bars stayed open for the most part. A lot of fights and as we all saw, the NOPD officers who were arrested. I was only a few blocks away from this incident and am glad that I didn't see it in person. All I have to say about it is, let’s wait and see the out come.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for going to my home state and helping out. Get well soon. Your posting made me think of the craziest thing I saw while I was at Gulfport.

One afternoon I saw 3 or 4 guys wading in the Gulf of Mexico. They were from an animal control agency from Florida. They were trying to rescue an alligator. I saw one guy dive under the water and come up with the gator. Of course the water in this area was contaminated with human waste, dead bodies, rotten food, and chemicals. This animal control officer walks onto the beach. He is bare foot. He stated "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I told him what's out there will kill you. I then gave him some bleach to clean his feet.

You probably did everything you could to avoid contaminating yourself. You get sick. This animal control officer basically takes a bath in filth and probably didn't even get a runny nose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts